Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
With Public Beta 5, all of a sudden my Safari extensions (almost all of them) disappeared.

The physical files are still located in the ~/Library/Safari/Extensions folder as they always have been, but they don't show up in Safari's preferences, or in the toolbar. In fact, where the icons used to live in the toolbar has been replaced with spacers.

Now I say almost all of them, because several remain—seemingly random ones (some old, some new).

Anyone have any insight?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Has to be extension compatibility issues with the new version.
I think it goes deeper than that. Going to Apple's official Extension Gallery and trying to install them brings up an error: "Can't install." Odd, given that they all worked fine in previous betas.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I had the same issue. I fixed it going to " ~/Library/Safari/ ". and moving the folders "Databases" and "Extensions" to my desktop (with Safari closed). Then I double clicked each extension in the folder on my desktop that I wanted to keep. It worked for every one of them.

Reactions: MacGizmo

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
YITlIjh.gif

Awesome! After removing those two folders it got me to thinking. I noticed that only the NON-APPLE EXTENSION GALLERY extensions would install & work properly previously. Once I removed the folders, I was able to re-install everything and all my extensions work as expected.

Thanks for the tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.