Safari/facebook problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mkaayyox, Jun 25, 2008.

1. mkaayyox macrumors newbie

This started happening about a week ago:

I went on facebook and tried to login, but everytime i keep getting this error message: Safari can’t open the page.
    Safari can’t open the page “https://login.facebook.com/login.php” because it couldn’t establish a secure connection to the server “login.facebook.com”.

this happens everytime I try to login, and its getting really annoying. I tried other mac browsers and i still get the same error message of some sort. What do I need to change in my settings or whatever to fix this?

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Do you have your firewall turned on?

Go into System Prefs -> Security -> Firewall. Check to see if "Allow all incoming connections" is checked.

3. Fontenette Yo! macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

This sometimes happens to me. I just reset my wireless router and it fixes it.

4. mkaayyox thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Facebook has been having problems in the last week. Myself, I have gotten that error around three times in the past week or two. I use Firefox if that changes something though.

6. mkaayyox thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried using Firefox and Camino and I've gotten the same or similar error message.

7. mkaayyox thread starter macrumors newbie

8. mkaayyox thread starter macrumors newbie

does anyone know if there is anything else i can do?

9. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

silly question- but are you even connected to the internet? sometimes my wireless router craps out and i get that message also... when you get that error, can you view any other websites?..

10. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

does your computer have security turned on?
    this happens to me as well and I have determined that it is caused by parental controls
    me.com wont work either

any website that requires authentication and connection to a secure server wont work under certain parental control settings

11. llamamagicman macrumors newbie

If you have not solved this yet.....

I just experienced this same problem myself, and I was very frustrated, but after surfing the web for a long time, and messing around with my Preferences, I just managed to fix this within this hour.

So first, do you have Parental Controls on your account?
    (I do and I had to change some stuff on there)

Second, go to Safari>preferences>security
    Then go to Accept Cookies, and change that to ALWAYS
    Above the cookies settings, make sure that enable plugins, java, and javascript are all checked aswell.

Then, go to System Preferences>Security>FireWall
    Then make sure that "ALLOW ALL INCOMING CONNECTIONS" is checked.

I am not really sure which of these changes was the one that worked, but what's done is done!

Good Luck!

PS: Please excuse my terrible spelling and stuff, school's out for summer, and that means no brain usage allowed) :D

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i cant access that link either. have you tried logging out (if you were previously logged in like i was) and then just go to www.facebook.com?