Safari - far behind?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by keaide, Mar 26, 2011.

1. keaide macrumors regular

One thing that I've noticed recently is the absence of Safari in most of the major browser benchmarks and news that are currently coming up, with IE, Firefox and Chrome all being updated. Where's Safari? Has Apple given up? Should we use Firefox or Chrome now? Plus, the recent certificate issue is also not fixed in Safari yet, while other major browsers are done with it already...

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, Safari 5.0.4 has only been out for a few weeks.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Apple and the WebKit team are hard at work on Safari 5.1. I don't know if you guys remember WebKit2, the new framework that offers Chrome-like tab isolation - it's coming to Safari, along with several other enhancements.

4. dj-anon macrumors member

dj-anon

I spent some time with IE9 and then tested in Snow Leopard the latest Opera and Chrome, followed by Firefox 4 when it released. With all the fancy hardware acceleration, webGL and other stuff, I frankly see no major advantages between any of them.

Take note this comes from a person that doesn't care at all for extensions, aside from Turn off the lights.

If I had to pick the best browser for OS X I would say Chrome takes the honor, but it is all about personal preference as there is no real killer browser out there.

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

The only way we will see the killer browser is if some developer brings a new browser engine into fruition.