Safari Favicons

DrK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
New York
I just cleared out my icon cache and have noticed that favicons are not being displayed for certain sites.

Macrumors is one of those that no longer gets a favicon.

Does anyone know why certain sites are ok but others not. For instance the apple.com favicon is still displayed, but yahoo's is not.

Curious!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
DrK said:
I just cleared out my icon cache...
Does this mean you emptied the cache or that you quit Safari, navigated to ~/Library/Safari/Icons/ and threw all the contents of that into trash and emptied trash and restarted Safari...?

Sedulous

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2002
I too am unable to get favicons for some websites after clean 10.4 installs (on three different computers). Also have tried dumping cache after quitting Safari, etc, etc. Ultimately, I have given up on the icons.

DrK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
New York
First to answer camomac, yes ... these are the little icons that appear in the bookmark lists and the address bar.

And to answer Mitthrawnuruodo, this was exactly what I did ... I went the library deleted the icons, emptied the trash and restarted safari. I did this as I was testing some of my own favicons.

The favicon for yahoo.com was appearing before I did this, but it no longer appears :(

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
I've noticed lots of sites doing this since doing a clean install of 10.4. Perhaps Safari now only accepts certain types of favicons?