Safari / Firefox & Camino - can't DOWNLOAD anymore..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nicnic77, Mar 10, 2008.

1. nicnic77 macrumors member

Hi all.

I installed the Speed Downloader trial which recently expired. Incredibly usefully, once Speed Downloader expires you can't change any of the settings - browser integration being notable. I tried manually removing all references to it on my system, but now when I try and download files in any browser nothing at all happens, or at best one of the works. Regular download links do work, but script redirects to downloads rarely do.

It's driving me crazy now as I need to download a copy of Flash from Adobe but it is impossible. I might just go grab a torrent as its a damn site easier even if it is illegal!

Any suggestions? I installed Camino today hoping that would would not be affected, but it is........ grr.

2. andy.barron macrumors 6502

try a spotlight search for 'speed' or the such & delete ANYTHING associated with the speed downloader app. I suspect there is a setting that is still effecting downloads, killing all of its pref. files etc may help.

Run an fsck & permission repair wouldn't go amiss either.:)

may help, good luck.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

No matter how useful it is, I would put it on the list of malware if it won't revert system back to original states after the expiration. :)

I think You should try a new profile for firefox see if it works

Eventually, you need to find a way to completely remove that app tho.

4. nicnic77 thread starter macrumors member

Cheers guys, problem solved. Searched for "speed" and found a stray .plugin file.. in the trash.. Removed it and now it works again! Didn't think it would still work in trash!