Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neski

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Ok i dont know why but for some reason my new MBP cant open this website. Its an Architecture website that i can open on my iMac and iphone but for some reason i cant open it on my mbp. Iv used Safari and Firefox and they both dont open it.
Has anyone had this problem with any other site, or know any way around it??

neski

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
i also have safari 3.1.2 also but still its not opening it. As to the blocking i have nothing that could do it as im the only user.

SpookyLars

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Poland
Strange. This site opens in Safari and FF on my MBP. I have PithHelmet in Safari and AdBlock in FF. Still no problems. Do you try to open this website at home or at work?

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
Running developer preview 4 (5526.11.2) and opens fine for me.
Also in Firefox 3.0.

No idea why you shouldn't be able to open it.

Maybe a reinstall for Safari????

neski

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
yes i might reinstall safari that might help. im at home and it works on my imac same version as on my laptop. so i really have no idea at all.ill reinstall now and see if that works thanks Shagrat

merc669

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
I have the same problem on my MBP but with the "Shirt-Pocket.com" site. I have reset Safari, Tried FF, reset my DNS Server checked the host file, etc with no luck. Both my other computers can access the site. There is no blockage on the router especially if the other two can get there. Have asked this before and have had zero luck getting this fixed. Maybe somebody will have a fix. Good Luck! By the way, I can get to your site with no problem.

Bill......:apple:

neski

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
ok this is not good. I deleted safari from my applications folder. I downloaded a new safari install. I then went to install it and i get an error saying "You cannot install Safari on this volume. This update requires Mac OS X 10.5.2 or newer." However in my 'About this mac' i have 10.5.4. so i should be able to install it. So now i have no Safari hahaah great. If i cant find whats up with it im going to take it to the apple store in sydney 2moro. im in the city for class so i might make a stop.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ok this is not good. I deleted safari from my applications folder. I downloaded a new safari install. I then went to install it and i get an error saying "You cannot install Safari on this volume. This update requires Mac OS X 10.5.2 or newer." However in my 'About this mac' i have 10.5.4. so i should be able to install it. So now i have no Safari hahaah great. If i cant find whats up with it im going to take it to the apple store in sydney 2moro. im in the city for class so i might make a stop.
I recommend re-applying the 10.5.4 combo updater at this point. It includes a Safari update.

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006

Uh...you can't delete the Apple applications and expect to get them back without reinstalling Mac OS X or using Pacifist to extract the necessary files from your install disk. The combo update may only have some of the files needed for Safari to run properly.

Chinashaw

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2005
Are you serious?

Uh...you can't delete the Apple applications and expect to get them back without reinstalling Mac OS X or using Pacifist to extract the necessary files from your install disk.

That is insane and ridiculous, I cannot just download or re install a browser without having to re install the OS or user an external programme to get the application? I thought Apple was supposed to be better/different to M'soft. And please don't use the excuse that it is integral to the OS or some such, that was M'softs defence and it was knocked out of court years ago.

I know it's a rant but Apple seem to be less and less customer focused.

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006
That is insane and ridiculous, I cannot just download or re install a browser without having to re install the OS or user an external programme to get the application? I thought Apple was supposed to be better/different to M'soft. And please don't use the excuse that it is integral to the OS or some such, that was M'softs defence and it was knocked out of court years ago.

I know it's a rant but Apple seem to be less and less customer focused.

The browser isn't THAT integral to the OS, but the WebKit framework is used for all HTML-displaying in any program that needs them, e.g. Help Viewer. You can delete Safari and still be able to use WebKit in other apps, just not in Safari because you don't have it anymore. Apple doesn't expect anyone to ever delete Safari except for people who know exactly what they're getting themselves into. Those kinds of people are not posting on this forum asking for help because they deleted Safari. Thus, Apple doesn't necessarily include the entire app in any update, just the stuff that was changed.

Besides, if you delete iexplore.exe from C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer you surely don't expect to get it back easily, but at least you can use the HTML rendering engine to view help files.

Now that you mention it, Safari is a bit like IE "back in the day", except for the difference in market share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.