safari/firefox/opera/camino *CRASH*

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by atlas060, Mar 12, 2008.

1. atlas060 macrumors newbie

i've tried safari, firefox, opera and camino and all crash when visiting the same sites. sites that are flash and java intensive usually cause the crash, and after troubleshooting i found that disabling java/javascript allowed me to view the site - but i'd like to view site normally as i did before.

examples of sites that cause all my mac browsers to crash are:
    www.amazon.com
    www.mtv.com

i've gone through the forum here and found ppl w/similar problems, but no remedy. if anyone has gone through this and been able to fix the problem, then please post here or direct me to the appropriate thread - before i start erasing all forms of java from my library. thanks in advance!

macbook
    tiger OS 10.4

2. atlas060 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds to me like you have a corrupted Java installation. Java and JavaScript are NOT related, by the way.

The best option to fix this is an Archive and Install of the OS. You will need to apply all the software updates again after you do this, but if you check the Preserve Users and Network Settings option prior to the install (which I highly recommend doing for something like this) your user data will be preserved.

4. Flowero4ka macrumors regular

if you run windows on mac trough parallels for example you will have IExplorer...

5. rountree macrumors newbie

Think I found a fix

I just started having the same problem (just installed 2008-004 security and safari 3.1.2 updates at the same time..). Figured out that in order to prevent many sites in Safari or Firefox from crashing I could do this: in safari preferences, security, unclick enable javascript. Now pages could be viewed, just no java or videos.

In order to fix the java problem, I simply downloaded the lastest flash player version from adobe. This required having javascript ENABLED, but did not crash the web page. Now with javascript enabled, everything works great.

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=shockwaveFlash

Hope if others have this problem, this solution will work.

Ryan