Safari + Flash = Bad, but Chrome OK. Why?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by emaja, Nov 4, 2010.

1. emaja macrumors 68000

I really like Safari, but Flash just brings it to its knees. I am one of those idiots who play Facebook games and the Flash used there and other places will crash Safari regularly to the point that it was almost unusable.

Based on recommendations here and elsewhere, I gave Chrome and chance. I do the same things with Chrome that I did with Safari and have yet to have a crash.

Is this common? Is Safari THAT bad with Flash? It seems Safari WAS fine for me until the last few months, then got REALLY bad. Is there something that I need to do to Safari - delete a pref file or something - to make it work better with Flash, or is it just a reality that Safari and Flash are a bad combo?

Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Which Mac are you on? Under Snow Leopard the Flash plug-in is passed through since it's still 32-bit running under a 64-bit Safari. That does add a bit of overhead.

You can run Safari in 32-bit mode or just use another browser.

3. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

Safari is the only browser that seems to have problems with Flash. Firefox and Chrome do not have the persistent "Plug-in Failure".

4. Nice macrumors regular

Nice

safari+flash=**** as hell! when i visit sites that have larger or more flash items i need to use chrome, because i would smash my mac and take a dump on it!

5. emaja, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010

emaja thread starter macrumors 68000

I have a first-gen unibody MBP running SL.

Now that I think about it, it is only since the upgrade to SL that I have had the problem. I'll try 32-bit mode and see if that helps.

Other than this Flash problem, I really like Safari and how well it is integrated into OSX. It is too bad that Apple and Adobe seem to be in a spitting contest over Flash implementation.

OOPS!

Already in 32-bit mode.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Some of that work should be offloaded to the 9400M G. Flash just isn't pleasant under OS X.

The box is already checked under the applications Get Info dialog?

7. hamlin macrumors regular

I've never had safari crash because of flash.

I'm on a Mid 2010 Unibody Macbook.

8. emaja thread starter macrumors 68000

Yup. The "Get Info" box is checked. I also have the "higher performance" option checked under the Energy Saver sys prefs.

9. djlutzker macrumors member

Dont worry dude, me too! I love Restaurant City jaja :D. I also have the same problem. In chrome it works excelent, on safari is a sh... I agree with the other guys coments. Mybe the 32 bit plug in and safari 64 bit dont work well.

So Chrome and Firefox (I dont like firefox cause it eats ram like./*/*/$·%$... haha!)

10. poorracerkid macrumors member

Exact same story here. It's my biggest frustration with Apple's product (number two being how poorly SC2 runs even with everything on low).

11. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Same problem, been using Chrome more and more, its growing on me.
    Love the Tabs too.

12. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

I am pissed off right now with Flash its such a piece of **** first I can not connect with my webcam on any sites where I can use my webcam and I tried all browsers especially Chrome 2nd I also noticed the Chrome version of flash is also different compared to todays release: Google Chrome version - 10.1.103.19, and for Safari, Firefox and Opera -10.1.102.64 which was released today so wtf gives? I am on a iMac Late 2006 edition Mac OS X 10.6.4. Sorry if this all sounds gibberish but this really pisses me off. Also forgot to add I did repair permissions and for some reason it took longer than ever this time, I swear adobe needs to get their **** together because I want HTML5 at this moment right away.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: