Safari flash player

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dcaccount, Aug 28, 2014.

1. dcaccount macrumors regular

Hello everybody,

just a quick doubt. I am surfing a site which is asking me to install flash player.

Is that normal or could it be harmful for the privacy or safety? Please advise.

Thank you so much,
    daniele

2. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

It asked you to install flash player because it has flash content on the page that it wants to display. Not really a privacy concern, if you install it from actual adobe site itself. Third party sites are highly discouraged. On the other hand, plenty of people, including myself, would advise you to avoid flash because of it not playing nicely with Mac OS X in general. In my opinion it is a resource hog, and unnecessarily heats up the mac. Sometimes it is a necessary evil, but I just use Chrome in those instances, because of having Flash support baked in. I end up trading one necessary evil for a slightly lesser necessary evil...

p.s. I really wish Chrome was better on Mac

3. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

If you download the Flash plugin from Adobe consider getting ClickToPlugin as well, it's very useful:-http://hoyois.github.io/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Many sites will display that message as a means of getting the viewer to download malware disguised as real software. Never, ever download software from pop up messages on the web. Always go directly to the software developer website to download the software in question.