Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrRules

macrumors newbie
Original poster
I am a brand new Imac user after being an original PC user. I am setting up my new computer and I can't figure out how to add new websites without adding them to the existing folders - Apple- News. RSS - You Tube, etc. I am sure you can add and edit the folders names but I can't figure it out yet. Any suggestions? They would be appreciated!

A second question, I loaded Final Cut Express 4 but the program doesn't show up on the desktop. I have found it by using FIND but that takes a while. How do you add programs to the desktop?

Thanks for helping a newbie, I should catch on pretty quickly, I hope. :)

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I am a brand new Imac user after being an original PC user. I am setting up my new computer and I can't figure out how to add new websites without adding them to the existing folders - Apple- News. RSS - You Tube, etc. I am sure you can add and edit the folders names but I can't figure it out yet. Any suggestions? They would be appreciated!

A second question, I loaded Final Cut Express 4 but the program doesn't show up on the desktop. I have found it by using FIND but that takes a while. How do you add programs to the desktop?

Right Click on the bookmark bar, Choose new folder.
Alternatively, click the little bookmark icon on the left and then click the little plus button at the bottom.

Applications should go into the Applications folder. If you want easy access to an app, drag it to the dock, right click and choose 'Keep in Dock'.

You should use Spotlight (top right corner), not find.

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
when you find the application in your hard drive, just drag the icon to the dock and it will appear there from now on

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC

As a point of interest, all apps are installed to your boot hard drive in the "Applications" folder. You can find them there.

MrRules

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Got It!! - Another problem

Thanks for the pointers! I am now able to set things up so that I am organized.

BTW, my documentation indicates that I can remove icons from the Dock by dragging them to the desktop but that doesn't seem to work as they just pop back into the Dock. Any help here?

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I'm a similar user as yourself, long time PC user and just moved to a MacBook. It took me a few hours to really figure out how the OS works. The first things you HAVE to do is FORGET how windows works. Also, look around at the UI and you'll often times see small icons that do what you're looking for.

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008

BTW, my documentation indicates that I can remove icons from the Dock by dragging them to the desktop but that doesn't seem to work as they just pop back into the Dock. Any help here?

they should just "poof" away in a little cloud when you drag them away

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005

Make sure the apps are closed before you drag them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.