Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drossad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
PA
Safari used to be the best browser on a Mac.

I bought a new MBP in October, with Lion on it.
I don't know if it's just the latest version of Safari, or the new version mixed with Lion, but it is sooooooo slow! It bogs down constantly and does the same to my MBP as a whole.

I had to switch to Chrome. Chrome!!!
There goes my bookmark syncing with my iPad and iPhone.

This is unacceptable Apple!

Is anyone else having this problem?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Safari used to be the best browser on a Mac.

I bought a new MBP in October, with Lion on it.
I don't know if it's just the latest version of Safari, or the new version mixed with Lion, but it is sooooooo slow! It bogs down constantly and does the same to my MBP as a whole.
Since many use Safari on Lion with no problems, it's most likely an issue with your particular installation. Rather than abandon Safari, another approach is to troubleshoot the problem and fix it.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
I often got Beachballs when using safari. On chrome I never get them. I will try out safari on mountain lion though. I'd love to use safari for the nativeness but at the moment it sucks lol

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
I'm assuming you're on 2.0 quad early 2011 as in your sig. I have the same set (except, with scorpio black hd, 8gb, hi-res AG) and constantly work with 15-20 tabs on safari and have no problems thus far with speed or general performance. In fact, I switched from chrome to safari since 10.7.2.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I have absolutely no trouble with Safari (v 5.1, Lion). Then again, I have disabled Java and never installed Flash.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Safari was always perfect for me but in the last weeks I have experienced several problems.
1. At least once a day the webpages stop responding. I get a dialog box that "The webpages have stopped responding" and that all need to be reloaded. So then I click OK, because there is no other option, and it reloads all my windows and tabs, including videos etc. Real pain when you have a internet connection that maxes out at 180KB/s.
2. Flash on youtube completely fails in the last weeks. I click on a video and if its flash then it mostly doesn't even load the video. Just shows the spinning wheel thing in the video box. It just doesn't load it. When I copy that link into Chrome it works fine. So its not a youtube problem. HTML5 youtube videos work perfectly in Safari.
3. When I reload a webpage it jumps to point in the window I was last at. OK thats all good, but when I scroll down or up, it jumps back to that spot from before 3 times before it settles and gives me control.

I still like safari, and I wont change browser but those things are rather annoying.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
it is a dog...a bad one at that! It is a total memory and CPU hog. Sometimes, the fans kick when I am browsing!!! OK...I got 15 tabs open but c'mon! The web content process takes more than 100% CPU as evidenced by the activity monitor. And not to mention, random reloading of all open tabs!!!! This one has to be the worst!!!! I would have filled in a form...and boom! Yet to try Chrome...

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
it is a dog...a bad one at that! It is a total memory and CPU hog. Sometimes, the fans kick when I am browsing!!! OK...I got 15 tabs open but c'mon! The web content process takes more than 100% CPU as evidenced by the activity monitor.

I find it to be the best RAM and CPU wise. When doing little in safari, even with lots of tabs it only has like 1-5% CPU usage. Firefox ive never experienced being under 20%. And RAM well when watching videos and stuff obviously it starts to hog RAM as all the videos are downloaded into RAM.

And not to mention, random reloading of all open tabs!!!! This one has to be the worst!!!! I would have filled in a form...and boom! Yet to try Chrome...
That is such a pain is the ass. Good to know that it seems to be a Safari problem in general and not just my install.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
I use Safari on my iMac, MacBook and other devices, if I had to name an issue, it would be the address bar won't act like in Chrome/Firefox where you can type a search in.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
I agree, safari is a huge RAM hog. After some youtube videos I am well over 1GB usage. Chrome hits hard too but not as hard and chrome never beachballs on me. Chrome just feels so fluid and Safari gets caught on every pebble.

S3R6i0

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Lackluster

Safari overall is nothing more than eye candy. Don't get me wrong, it's my browser of choice only because all the other browsers look like dog poop. But performance wise; basic functions like adding new bookmarks at the end of the bookmarks bar instead of the front so that you have to rearrange them every single time, hover lock, and all the other features that have already been slowly ironed into 3rd party web browsers. The web browser industry as a whole has their thumb up their ass, but I expect a little more coming out of Apple. I guess they're a little busy taking over the world but you would think that an army of computer geeks and poindexters would be telling us how software is done, not the other way around. :cool:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Since many use Safari on Lion with no problems, it's most likely an issue with your particular installation. Rather than abandon Safari, another approach is to troubleshoot the problem and fix it.

I have never had any problems with Safari.

As mentioned in the quote above, you might try troubleshooting your installation or connection.

I find safari to be excellent.:D

CodingRecipes

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2012
Safari is a great browser, I have no problems with it either, try disabling your plugins and see what happens, you can try disabling them one by one until you find the offending one, I fixed my issues with Safari by finding a slow plugin.

Also I suggest the Click-To-Flash plugin, that helps a lot...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.