Safari for windows/Firefox 3 default browser issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by walnuts, Jul 1, 2008.

1. walnuts macrumors 6502

Hello all- I am having an issue with Safari for windows (3.12, windows xp) or Firefox 3, not sure which. I normally use Safari as my default on windows, but I decided to give Firefox 3 a shot and set it as my default browser. While I have nothing against firefox, after a week trial, I would like to reset Safari as my default again.

However, I can't do that. I tried the following:

• Setting Safari as my default browser in Safari preferences- it already said that Safari was my default. Switching the preference to another browser and back again yielded no results.
    • Looking in firefox options- only gives an option to set Firefox as my default
    • Looking in windows prefs- you'd think that there would be a "default browser" setting- nope- you can only set internet explorer as your default

Any advice? I'll take an odd workaround...

2. walnuts thread starter macrumors 6502

fixed!

Well, for the sake of anyone else who might have this issue, I fixed it by reinstalling firefox. Reinstalling Safari did not fix the issue.

Also, I eventually figured out how to set the default browser via windows. If you go into control panel->add & remove programs->set program access and defaults, you can choose your default browser. However, even this did not work- only reinstalling firefox 3.0.1 and never selecting it as my default browser worked.

3. dadoc04 macrumors member

thanks for the tip... i will make a note of that