Safari freezes when try to play WMA files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VTBoy206, Nov 9, 2008.

1. VTBoy206 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone

I have flip4mac installed on my computer but whenver I go to a website and try to play a WMA file from that website Safari freezes. I can play video files fine, but not audio files. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

Not just a suggestion but a fix.

Basically, I was getting this too, with Safari now crashing on me when I went to certain sites. It's a conflict that hasn't been sorted out yet.

So, the fiX:

Go the the Flip4Mac folder in your Applications folder and click on the Uninstaller package and get rid of the whole thing.

Then, install Flip4Mac again only this time, choose Custom install and uncheck the option to play WMA files on the internet.

They'll still be played and, if you use Flip4Mac to watch WMA files on your Mac, they'll be converted.

A bummer, but that's the workaround for now.

3. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I have not yet, had any problem playing standard wmv files inside of web pages.
    I have the standard flip4mac free package installed.
    Can you give me a link to one of the websites you were having problems with.

4. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

XM Radio Online for one. One point: I'm using the Flip4Mac Pro version.

5. Toniola macrumors member

I have had decent luck with F4M working, but there have been occasions when wmv content I encounter causes Safari to lock up, too. This doesn't mean to me that F4M is at fault. I'm about to take a look at the knowledge base of F4M, and see if there's anything that talks about this type of problem. http://www.flip4mac.com/knowledge/knowledge.htm

I'll also check on their forum, too, since I'd really like to see what might be causing this. http://forum.flip4mac.com/forum/

Other than that, there *are* some sites that use unsupported codecs, audio or video, and they don't conform to a standard wmv....and, these may fail to play. It's kind of a trick since they are hidden underneath the wmv wrapper. In these cases, there's not much to do about it, other than hope the content providers will re-encode the material in a standard method...or better yet, into a Quicktime movie.