Safari Freezes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xnview, Jun 23, 2013.

1. xnview macrumors member

Hi

I recently bought my first mac (13" rMBP 2,6 GHz), and I'm loving it. It's super fast on booting, surfing etc..

My problem is that sometimes, not very often but maybe a couple of times during the day, Safari seems to freeze when I'm either going backwards (previous page) or sometimes when I write a new URL in and hit enter. It starts to load the page, then the site goes all white and nothing happens. When I hit the refresh button it takes like 20 sec before the page reenters and then there's like nothing have happened.

I found this a little bit strange, and I'm not worried or anything, I just see it as a strange thing, and a little bit annoying. Is this normal, or is there anything I can do to make it go away?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Experiment with other browsers. If they do the same thing, the problem might be your connection speed. (ISP related)

3. xnview thread starter macrumors member

I have tried chrome a little bit, but not to much because I think safari is more fluent than chrome on mac.. But so far I haven't experienced it on chrome.

Also I have never experienced it on my iPad or iPhone.. hard to compare it to my PC because it's nowhere as fluent as the macbook, but haven't had the same problem there.

4. boazjoe macrumors member

Safari goes white

I have a friend who just purchased a non-retina 13 in MBP and the first machine she got did fine at first then Safari began to load then stopped with a white box where the browser should have been. She called apple service who ran her through a lot of gyrations then suggested she return the machine. She did that.

The second machine now has done the same thing. Any suggestions? BTW, her ipad and ipod touch work fine on the home internet. It is only Safari on the Mac.

5. ayres macrumors regular

this is not unusual... while I'm not comp scientist, software tech, etc, I have always assume it is due to the inner-workings of safari and how it works with particular sites. in particular, I have experienced extended lags and freezes with eBay and Craigslist. with something like eBay, instead of going back after viewing a listing, I have the habit of simply opening the listing in a new tab. ff and chrome don't seem to have the reloading lag that safari has (something to do with caching?). just know that safari is better than it used to be - for years, I never used safari, but now I like it more because chrome is a terrible CPU/ram hog. but I think chrome is much faster.

6. xnview thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for answer, so it's just safari? I better liked chrome on my last PC, but on my MAC I definitely like safari better.

So there isn't anything I can do to make it stop?

7. ayres macrumors regular

it just happened to me on a particular website - i don't wait to see how long it freezes - time's too precious these days. as soon as i see the progress bar stop or come to a crawl, i stop and refresh the page.

sometimes, as was the case with something like craigslist, when i have just typed a lot, i'll select and copy the text in the case that the browser never advances to the next page and i have to go back and then discover that i lost everything i just typed.