Safari Freezing on launch, spinning beach ball

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Macman756, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Today, Safari started freezing on launch, requiring a force quit, I have never gotten it to fully launch all day, just a white screen with no URL. I reinstalled Safari, downgraded from 4 beta to 3, upgraded back to 4 and restarted a bunch, Any ideas? Spinning beach ball and the Dock says App is not responding. Thanks!

2. darrenscerri macrumors regular

darrenscerri

Strange. Try repairing permissions, run the maintenance scripts and clearing the cache.

Run the Mac OS X maintenance scripts
    - open Terminal (Applications -> Utilities)
    - type: sudo periodic daily weekly monthly
    - enter your administrator password

Repair Hard Drive Permissions
    - open Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities)
    - go to your Macintosh HDD
    - click on Repair Disk Permissions

For an all-in-one solution try Cocktail.

3. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

on an off note, i didn't know you could run the maintenance scripts like that.. thanks for the heads up.

4. dmilazzo9 macrumors newbie

Try deleting the Syndication Database File(s) in user/Library/Syndication. In my case I had 2 files in that folder, "Database3" and "Database3.BROKEN". Deleted both and restarted, and my 2 months of suffering through beachballs upon the first launch of Safari following every computer restart are now over!! And yes, I tried all the other "solutions" out there....this fixed it for me, and was the only thing that had ANY effect whatsoever.

Here's a link to my orig post about this.....trying to be more succinct here yet still spreading the word :)

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10043037&#10043037