Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Every once in a while Safari freezes on me. I can click things, but nothing happens. Actually, to try and be as clear as possible, like if I press the back button, what's shown doesn't change, but if I hover my mouse over things and I'm familiar with the page I was trying to go to, I can tell that it actually did go back because it changes to the hand over where I know links should be. But it still looks like the first page. I can't get out of that no matter what I do, and I end up having to quit Safari to fix it. It's just annoying to have to do that. Anyone else have a problem like this and know what the cause and solution might be?

Ogilvie

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2006
I'm having a similar problem (OSX 10.3.9, Safari 1.3.2) on an eMac.

Once a page is open I can open one hyperlink. The next hyperlink I open freezes Safari entirely. I have found a workaround, which is to go to the context menu and open every link in a new window. JonD25, have you tried this workaround and does it work for you?

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I switched to webkit last night, and it hasnt crashed yet!
just DL webkit! it is safri and doesnt crash!

Ogilvie

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2006
mad jew said:
Remove all add ons from Safari and then maybe try resetting Safari from the Safari menu. :)

Did that.

No joy.

We've fixed the problem by switching to IE.

PS: to all of those that are suggesting a switch... no.

This is a production machine, and if anything changes I'm the one who has to train the user on *yet another* application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.