Safari freezing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djejrejk, Sep 19, 2009.

1. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Since the 10.6 upgrade, Safari freezes very often, especially when loading pages with flash such as espn.com.

The only thing I can find in the console is:

Code:
    __CFServiceControllerBeginPBSLoadForLocalizations timed out while talking to pbs
    I have to force quit Safari each time. I have also just noted the same issue with Firefox, and Omniweb.

Any ideas?

2. djejrejk thread starter macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

3. djejrejk thread starter macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Omg

Just kidding, the problem is back. About 1-2 hours after running cocktail the problem is back. All of my browsers immediately crash when I bring up a page which uses flash.

I created a new user account and the problem persists. Also, I have another machine which does not suffer from these problem.

Anyone else having this issue? I can't be the only person.

Any ideas? This is rendering my MBP virtually unusable for web browsing.

EDIT: I have a reply up at the Apple support forums here.

4. mac2x macrumors 65816

Problems like this is why I'm glad I didn't run out and buy SL immediately. :rolleyes:

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I am having the same problem with espn. I have the current version of flash, happens in safari and firefox and I have not upgraded to 10.6, still running the latest build of 10.5.8.

6. djejrejk thread starter macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Actually, it has been a pretty smooth transition for me. This has been my first and only problem... and it seems like it is not isolated to 10.6. Overall the 10.6 upgrade has been much better than the 10.4 -> 10.5 upgrade.

I will be sure to update if anyone finds a fix on the Apple support forum.

7. mac2x macrumors 65816

Great! Did you do a clean install then? I'd be willing to bet that most of the problems I've heard about in SL can be traced back to just allowing the SL installer to do the work rather than taking the time to back up your important files and wipe the HD first. :apple: Of course that's true for any OS upgrade. I missed the Tiger to Leopard switch because I got my Mac back in January, with Leopard 10.5.6. I know several people who are still using Tiger though, and it still clicks along fine.

I'm going to wait for a few more updates to SL before I even think about it.

8. djejrejk thread starter macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I upgraded with no problems (well, 1 problem on 1 machine I guess). I wiped my drive before installing leopard over tiger, guess I was feeling more daring this time around.

9. mac2x macrumors 65816

I guess it depends on how much junk is on your HD. So glad it went (mostly) smoothly!

10. jackr macrumors newbie

jackr

A solution. Or work-around. Or, anyway, this seems to work.

In the Apple Cocoa Dev List, I found this advice:

which seemed to work for me.

11. Guille779 macrumors newbie

Worked for me too, at least I'm not getting the log msg every 10 seconds.