Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thankins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
I stumbled upon this and if it is known then I am sorry.

I noticed that Safari had these grey lines down the side of the browser when I was in full screen mode (See Screenshot A)

I wasn't sure what was the cause of it -but after playing with it I found that you could drag the sides to make browser bigger or smaller. just move your mouse pointer to the edge of the screen in full screen mode and you can make the window smaller or bigger. Not sure what the point is to it but hopefully it will help someone

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-19 at 6.24.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-19 at 6.24.33 AM.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 318
  • Screen Shot 2011-07-19 at 6.26.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-19 at 6.26.42 AM.png
    129.8 KB · Views: 217

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I stumbled upon this and if it is known then I am sorry.

I noticed that Safari had these grey lines down the side of the browser when I was in full screen mode (See Screenshot A)

I wasn't sure what was the cause of it -but after playing with it I found that you could drag the sides to make browser bigger or smaller. just move your mouse pointer to the edge of the screen in full screen mode and you can make the window smaller or bigger. Not sure what the point is to it but hopefully it will help someone

I noticed that too, a little odd cos why would you want it smaller? Also there's this annoying bug when sometimes there's like a grey bar at the bottom of the screen and the top half of the page is cut off, only way to fix it is by restarting safari. Sometimes you cannot close any tabs while it's doing this too.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
I noticed that too, a little odd cos why would you want it smaller? Also there's this annoying bug when sometimes there's like a grey bar at the bottom of the screen and the top half of the page is cut off, only way to fix it is by restarting safari. Sometimes you cannot close any tabs while it's doing this too.
I guess some users might want a smaller window of information if they were on a website that fills up the entire screen. MacRumors, for instance, only takes up a certain amount of the browsing window. My neighborhood forum, on the other hand, will expand to fit any size window. That expandability can be annoying on a big screen. Other than that, I don't see any use for shrinking the window.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I guess some users might want a smaller window of information if they were on a website that fills up the entire screen. MacRumors, for instance, only takes up a certain amount of the browsing window. My neighborhood forum, on the other hand, will expand to fit any size window. That expandability can be annoying on a big screen. Other than that, I don't see any use for shrinking the window.

Hoping Macrumors gets updated soon to fill the screen, that would be useful

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.