Safari FullScreen Mode (Facebook)

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by achappy, Oct 17, 2018.

1. achappy macrumors member

achappy

So I got frustrated with the Facebook app and how much iOS12 was reporting background activity even though I have it turned off (I know all of the tricks FB does to run in the background). So I decided to create a bookmark in Safari and added it to my homescreen.

IIRC, in iOS11 this just launched Safari with a new tab with the site. But in iOS12 this launches I assume a Safari Viewer component in Fullscreen mode. It's not Safari because if I open up the task switcher I see Safari separately. I love this Fullscreen mode but the only problem is that I lose all of the browser controls (gesture back, refresh, etc). Is this something new with HTML5 Fullscreen support and is there a way to at least get the stock gesture controls back?

2. Starfia macrumors 6502a

Starfia

My first guess was this meant Facebook had implemented standalone web app support – one historically present option for web developers who preferred to write HTML5 apps to native iOS apps. If that were the case, then iOS would honour the developer's request for a fullscreen WebKit environment once that "app" was added to the home screen.

I've just tried doing this to check out the situation with Facebook, and I found instead that all it took was a device restart for the home screen link to begin launching Safari in the way you were hoping for. Weird; I wonder whether restarting cleared some relevant data in my case.

3. achappy thread starter macrumors member

achappy

A restart didn't change anything for me. Just tried Reddit and it opens in a new tab in Safari so there's definitely something different how Facebook is being treated. Even little things like if you click on a post, since there's no back button or back gesture support, there is an option at the top with a back arrow but unfortunately it always refreshes :mad:. I actually like the view, really takes advantage of the iPhone X screen.

4. onepoint, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018

onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

Same with Twitter.

Both make me log in once again when launching from the home screen 'bookmark' regardless of whether I was already logged in via Safari.

5. achappy thread starter macrumors member

achappy

Yeah I forgot about that little quirk too. I first had to log in from Safari but then when I launched the bookmark it had me log in again as if it were a different “browser”.

Another quirk is I just did it on my IPP10.5 and it behaves like the old way. Facebook opens in a new tab (or existing one if it’s already open).

6. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

7. achappy thread starter macrumors member

achappy

I think you've found it. This is exactly what it is! Thanks for the info.

It's actually not bad. The only issue I see with Facebook's version is that it refreshes EVERY time you go from a post back to your news feed. So it's pretty useless as a PWA. I tried Twitter and it's much better. Going into a tweet and hitting "back" takes you right back where you are.