Safari: Google search in a new tab?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by petteri, Apr 8, 2007.

1. petteri macrumors member

Hi,

When highlighting a word in Firefox you can then right click on it to do a google seach on that word. The search results are then displayed in a new tab. When I use Safari it does this within the current tab. Is there a way to change this to the method that Firefox uses? This is just about the only thing that bugs me about Safari. Thanks!

EDIT: See solution below! ;)

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

don't know how to get the new tab, but there is a google widget that works well. Copy the word, hit your dashboard hot corner, and paste the word into the widget. This will display the search result in a new window. Takes about 3 sec.

3. petteri thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip. If I can't get this feature in Safari I'll just continue to use Firefox. :(

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

From the Google Search Bar (upper-right corner), you can hold Cmd :)apple: ) while you hit enter and it'll open the search in a new tab.

5. petteri thread starter macrumors member

Ahh, now we are getting somewhere! That's a good tip. But has anyone figured out a way to do exactly what Firefox does?

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Okay - found it :) Highlight the word, hold Cmd, right-click and select "Search In Google"; that should open in a new tab. Enjoy!

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Cool beans - does this get to count as my "learn something new" for the day?? Can i now go back to bed??? :D

8. petteri thread starter macrumors member

Hah! I knew it could be done! I should have figured this out from the post before....

Great thanks everyone! :D

9. mantic macrumors 6502a

Is something similar that can be done in Camino? I really loath Safari..

10. danny_w macrumors 601

Cool! Thanks for find this. Now does anybody know of a way to either disable the "Search in Spotlight" or move it below "Search in Google" in the context menu? I hate spotlight!

11. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I don't understand why people hate spotlight. There's nothing 'intrusive' or 'offensive' about it. It's a tool which is available for when you need to find a file quickly.

Although I did just accidentally hit 'search in spotlight' instead of google...

12. silby101 macrumors member

Create a new service

I have a broken arm and it's difficult to hold down cmd and click, so I found a workaround based on http://rentzsch.tumblr.com/post/5794765921/search-with-google-using-chrome

Open Automater -> Choose Service -> Find 'Run Shell Script' action and drag to workflow window -> Choose '/usr/bin/ruby' from Shell drop down menu -> type the following
    Code:
    require 'cgi'
    `open 'http://www.google.com/search?q=#{CGI.escape(STDIN.read.chomp)}'`
    Then save it with a title like "Search With Google (New Window)" and you are done.

13. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

this is just what I was hoping to find. But 2 questions. 1 - do I replace the text that already appears when selecting the '.usr/bin/ruby" flow or add it somewhere. Also, when I save it, I save it...but spotlight can't find the file. I know I've added services before (once) and I had a file I had to move somehwere, right?

thanks!

14. silby101 macrumors member

Yes, replace the default text with the code above. Once you save it, it should be ready to use (saved in the correct place already). Just right click in Safari, and at the bottom should be the service you saved with whatever name you gave it.

It will be saved in ~/your-user-name/Library/Services/