Safari Google Search in New Tab

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by englishman, Feb 26, 2011.

1. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Is there anyway as in FFox to force safari to open a new tab when highlighting text and right clicking for a Google search?

2. Gurutek macrumors newbie

Hold down the cmd button when you click on the "Search in Google" - That opens it in a new tab :)

3. silby101 macrumors member

Create a new service

I have a broken arm and it's difficult to hold down cmd and click, so I found a workaround based on http://rentzsch.tumblr.com/post/5794765921/search-with-google-using-chrome

Open Automater -> Choose Service -> Find 'Run Shell Script' action and drag to workflow window -> Choose '/usr/bin/ruby' from Shell drop down menu -> type the following
    Code:
    require 'cgi'
    `open 'http://www.google.com/search?q=#{CGI.escape(STDIN.read.chomp)}'`
    Then save it with a title like "Search With Google (New Window)" and you are done.

4. PaulKemp, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Thanks! Works like a charm.

Note that you replace all the content that automator displays automatically with the string from the post above. Great stuff. Just wished it showed up beneath the 'Search Google' menu item.

edit: actually, i wanted it to open in a new tab. I'll have to search some more

5. chenarm915 macrumors newbie

Resetting

I have followed your instructions and it worked. Now how can I undo this process and remove that additional menu item when I right-click?
    Thanks!

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Open Finder then hit shift-command-g (all three at once) and paste in the folder path below then enter. That should show you all your "services" and you can just delete the one you don't want. I believe you need to logout then back in after for the change to take effect.

Code:
    ~/Library/Services

7. chenarm915 macrumors newbie

Thank you!