Safari Google/Yahoo Redirect for a Specific Website?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacNewb721, Dec 8, 2009.

1. MacNewb721 macrumors newbie

I discovered a bit of an oddity yesterday.

I did a search on Google for a message board for an NFL team (Baltimore Ravens). The top link on Google was the message board on the official team site. When I clicked on the link, it redirected me to some random shady site. When I tried again, I got through fine. But I then reset Safari (deleting the cookies), tried it again, and the same thing happened. Yahoo provided the same issue.

I do not download anything except for Software Updates (I know about the trojans posing as codecs and pirated software, and have not downloaded anything of the such).

Out of curiosity, I tried Googling the website on a PC with Firefox, and had no problem. I downloaded Safari to that same PC, and the same thing occurred, so this clearly is a browser specific problem. Also of note is that on the PC, the AV detected a trojan about 5 minutes later.

I tried disabling Java, and the Google link wouldn't open the webpage the first time, but I did not get redirected. Typing the address in directly provided no problems.

I am at a loss. Is my system secure? I keep up with all updates (I am currently on 10.5.8, though). Has my system been compromised at all?

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

It could be a advertisement on the message board site that Firefox just blocks, like a pop-up that for some reason Safari doesn't. You should be secure as long as you don't install any "browser plugins" that it offers or allow java access to your machine. I can't say that there aren't any exploits for Safari or Mac OS X but it is unlikely you will have any issues as long as you follow common sense. If you are interested in browser and system security you should listen to some back episodes of Security Now on the TWIT netowork.