Safari hanging after update

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Taegre, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Taegre macrumors member

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had the same issue. After updating to the latest version of Safari (4.0.3), I've been getting the beach ball on a regular basis.

It was not to bad the last few days, only pausing on flash intensive websites. But today it was beach balling when I try to scroll down a page. The page will freeze, the beach ball shows up, and then it jumps down the page. Its also slowed down considerably.

I was wondering if anyone had the same issue, and if anyone had a possible fix. I'm proficient on a mac, but nowhere near an expert, so I don't really know what to do.

If it continues tomorrow, I'm going to try to reinstall it.

Thanks for any and all help.

Nihar

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

try reset it
    then reinstall it

There seems to be relatively more complaints with this 4.0.3 updates. Maybe apple didn't do a good job at testing before put it out.

3. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

There are other great browsers on mac too, it doesn't hurt to try out, such as firefox 3.5 or opera 10 beta 3. Or camino 1.6, etc

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

There's a thread on a page or so down, that has a link to 4.0.2 if you choose to return to an older version.

6. Taegre thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I've reset Safari, and the hanging issue hasn't re-appeared. It is still slower than usual though.

If the beach ball re-appears, I'm going to reinstall 4.0.2.

Thanks again,
    Nihar

7. celticpride678

The reason it is slower is probably because Safari needs to re-cache those webpages.

8. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Do you have any plug-ins or add-ons? Those are the culprits most of the time. Try removing them one by one until you've got it pegged. They are in /Library/Internet Plug-ins, and ~/Library/Internet plug-ins.

Another option is to turn off "Warn when visiting a fraudulent website", found in Safari Preferences under Security. The Safe Browsing .db frequently can become corrupt.

9. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

did a reset. haven't used it much but so far its behaving. thanks