Safari hanging on web based flash game?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jessandjamie, Nov 21, 2011.

1. jessandjamie macrumors newbie

We just recently purchased a high-end early 2011 13" macbook. I'm not experiencing the problem but trying to keep the wife happy. The problem is with cityville on facebook. After about five minutes safari hangs and she has to quit out of safari to get it to do anything. At first I thought it was temp related so I got istat. I noted that it was constantly around 90c and climbing when it would happen. So I installed fan control to make the fans turn on at a lower temp. This hasn't helped, it will still hang when the temps are around 88c. So I reset safari and repaired disk permissions. That didn't change anything. Even installed firefox which seemed to help until today. Anyone else had this problem or a word of advice that they could offer. I love the computer but my wife is beginning to wonder why we purchased it if she can't play her game. Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Repairing permissions has nothing to do with your issue. Resetting Safari won't help, either. It's very common knowledge that Flash content on websites places significant demands on CPU/GPU, raising temps accordingly. ClickToPlugin & ClickToFlash Safari extensions will enable you to control which Flash content plays, but if you have Flash playing, expect high demands on your system.

3. jessandjamie thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate your help so don't take this the wrong way at all. We are new to the mac and I've tried researching this issue to no avail. My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) the site you pointed out will just not start the game until she tells it to rather than solve the hanging issue. So far the conclusion I have come to is that she should just play the game on our older pc that never had this problem.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is correct. It may help in situations where there are multiple Flash items on the same page, but you only want one to play, but if you let Flash content play, be prepared for high system demands and high temps. Flash is a resource hog.

5. jessandjamie thread starter macrumors newbie

So then I have another question. I understand the cpu/gpu throttles itself to prevent damage, but isn't that supposed to happen closer to 100c. Why would it possibly still happen at 88c? And if that is the reason, then it "throttles" itself, does it just completely stop rather than slow down processing?

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You could try installing google's chrome browser. It has it's own built in flash player, which might give you a better performance.

Adobe's PC implementation seems to be a bit less problematic, which would explain why you had no problems on your older PC.