Safari Hangs and Quits - HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ARK, Jan 27, 2009.

1. ARK macrumors 6502

10.5.6 - Safari just hangs when I start it up. Bounces for about a minute and quits. Any ideas on what I can do? Trash prefs or something?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Trash prefs is always worth a try. If that doesn't work, try trashing its caches too.

3. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

Where might I find the Safari prefs and caches? I'm looking in my user/library/safari folder. I see:

Bookmarks.plist
    Downloads.plist
    Form Values
    History.plist
    HistoryIndex.sk
    LastSession.plist
    WebpageIcons.db

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Preferences are stored where all application preferences are stored: ~/Library/Preferences. The file is probably called something like com.apple.Safari.plist.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

WebpageIcons.db is one of the cache files. The other one is in ~/Library/Caches - look for files/folders called Safari or com.apple.safari.

6. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

I trashed com.Apple.Safari.plist in library/preferences and it still hanged on me.

Just trashed WebpageIcons.db and it still hanged.

The folder com.Apple.Safari in library/caches was empty.

7. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

This all started yesterday. I quit Safari to work on some InDesign and Photoshop RAM intensive stuff. Turned it back on 30 minutes later and it started hanging on me. It was in the afternoon sometime. The files "Form Values, History.plist, HistoryIndex.sk and LastSession.plist all have modified dates of yesterday afternoon when I started having the problem. I wonder if its one of those causing the issue.

8. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I had a nasty Safari hang a few weeks back. It may sound silly but try downloading and installing Webkit.

It looks and behaves almost exactly like Safari and even uses the same preferences, bookmarks, etc. After launching Webkit (assuming it doesn't hang) try relaunching Safari. For some reason this fixed whatever my hang up issue was, and it may do the same for you.

I'd try that before trashing too many other files on the off chance it fixes the issue and you don't have to re-do your preferences/bookmarks/history/etc.

9. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it possible that I could use time machine to go back to the yesterday mornings version of these files and have that fix my problem???

Bookmarks.plist
    Downloads.plist
    Form Values
    History.plist
    HistoryIndex.sk
    LastSession.plist
    WebpageIcons.db

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

It's possible, and you can try it, but I know when I had my issue I deleted everything that Spotlight could find with "safari" in it...

nothing seemed to bring it back. If I were you, I'd try Webkit first, if it works you don't have to bother dealing with deleting files and all that stuff and Safari will be back just like before the crash with all of your preferences intact. And if Safari doesn't come back, Webkit is so similar you'd probably never know you weren't on Safari.

11. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

Well Time Machine didnt work on those files. heh. I think Im going to just use FireFox until Safari gets fixed. I could install the WebKit but I think I will let the administrator deal with it. They will probably just install Safari from the Leopard disk.

Will installing Safari from the Leopard disk fix it?

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

don't know, didn't try that...

I had relegated myself to use Firefox until the next update, hoping that the update might fix it, but I'd gone through every fix I could think of...

Repair permissions- you might try that, fsck, Onyx cleanups, I tried it all... A friend suggested Webkit, and after it launched and worked I tried Safari on a whim... and it's been working ever since...

13. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I did try permission and it fixed a bunch of stuff. Still didn't work though. :(

14. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

Downloaded WebKit and tried it. It hung as well so I trashed it. Guess I will be using FireFox.

15. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Is your computer's date correct?

I know the start of my issues had to do with launching Safari after my computer decided it was 1969.

Sorry the Webkit didn't seem to help... you could try running OnyX to clean up some other cache files that might be causing issues, of course if you have a computer administrator who usually does this sort of stuff, you can push it all off to them.

One think I had seen in my debugging was that Font issues could cause weird Safari behavior, but I was unable to figure out how to change the default font without being able to launch Safari.

16. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'm out of ideas. If you have access to other Macs you may want to see if you can copy their Safari.app file over to the computer that's giving you issues. It may be the app itself that's damaged, although that wouldn't be consistent with Webkit's behavior.

I'd probably be at the point of trying any crazy fix that pops into my head, or that can be Googled. But of course my PowerBook is my own personal computer and I am the only line of tech support beyond this forum and Google. You may want to pursue your own tech support channels whatever they may be.

Unless someone else on the board has any better ideas.

18. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your input. I will let the admin deal with it. ehhe. This is on my work computer. My MBP is running fine. :D

19. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

So apparently Safari decided it would work today. HA!!! :rolleyes: