Safari hangs before loading pages

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by zeppo2, Jun 25, 2016.

1. zeppo2 macrumors member

A few weeks ago Safari started hanging on me whenever I tried to load a new page. They may eventually load, but taking too long. When I think back, there are a couple of things that may have coincided. One is I installed Scansnap software to use my Scansnap iX500 (though I close the Scansnap Manager before using Safari). The other is I complained to Time Warner Cable for jacking my bill up (which is their policy to do by at least $5 on an annual basis, hoping a lot of people won't notice for years). Time Warner reduced my rate back, as they seem to always do, yet when I check my speed it is now way faster, not slower, than before. I mean I was used to surfing at 15 mbps and that worked fine for me, and now it is around 45-50 mbps. So it wouldn't appear speed is an issue.

But here is what I think is interesting. I can click on a link to change pages (perhaps I click on a result from a Google search) and the page hangs, taking its sweet time to load. Yet while waiting for it to load, I can copy the address, paste it into a new safari window and load it in that window while the original page is still lingering in its attempt to load. And I can duplicate this test time and time again.

So I'm just casting my net out there with this odd browser behavior to see if anyone might have any ideas what could cause this.

Thanks for any advice.

zep

2. zeppo2 thread starter macrumors member

Solved for now.

Probably resetting safari cache did it, but I also:

- deleted all website data and history
    - blocked all incoming connections (might have to allow when using Scansnap) and enabled stealth mode in airport utility
    - changed safari security preferences to require websites to ask to use WebGL

But this has happened repeatedly, so I wonder why the clearing the cache is necessary. Wouldn't it manage itself better?

And I wonder why I can take the address of the pages that struggle to load and paste into a new window and have them load up while the original page still struggles... over and over again this works. Why would a cache problem cause the original page to struggle and the other to load right up?

I'm also going to take a look at what happens after I sign into Google and sign out, as for some reason I have some suspicions the lag time starts after Google account usage.