Safari hangs CONSTANTLY on a late 2013 rMBP, any ideas?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by SomeGuyDude, Feb 16, 2014.

1. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

This is driving me insane. A few examples of what I mean:

http://imo.im is nearly unusable, both old and new version. I get an IM and click on the window and it just hangs for a minute, gives me the beach ball, and then it loads my message. Additionally I get constant "network reconnecting... reconnected" issues.

The head-fi forums stick all over the place, as well as the home page. I load it up and it just sits there for a good 15-30 seconds before I can actually use it.

There are more, but I can't even list them off. It's just page after page after page. Any time there's dynamic content it locks up. And this is a top-end rMBP. Is there a setting somewhere? Is it flash? It's driving me back to Chrome.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Test it in Safe Mode. If it's doing the same thing, then... dunno :p But if it's better in Safe Mode, then you have a conflicting program or KEXT.

3. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

I know this is probably not the solution you're looking for but have you tried using a different browser like Chrome or Firefox?

The only thing that I could really think would be causing this would be a bad extension or plugin or whatever Safari calls them these days. If you have any installed you could try removing them and see if that helps.

Another thing to try might be using the nightly build or just reinstalling safari (Edit: which seems to apparently be impossible to do now without a reinstall of the OS).

Honestly though unless you hate Google/Chrome I'd probably just use that since it has all the nice syncing/cloud features like Safari and is just in general a better browser that gets way more development than Safari.

4. Porsupah macrumors member

Porsupah

A stab in the dark: does the OP have any local networked drives mounted? Mavericks remains as brain-dead as previous versions, locking up the Finder and any other dependencies until all the drives are spun up, even if the target file/directory is local.

Myself, with a similar system, I'm fine, but I use the test versions of OmniWeb 6 routinely, rather than Safari, so our experiences may well differ.

5. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

I've been having similar problems since upgrading to Mavericks. I think there is some subtle networking bug.

I've found two things which have improved performance:

(1) I changed my DNS server to Google (8.8.8.8) in Network preferences. Safari prefetches DNS entries for page elements and I find Goodle's DNS to resolve faster: not a fix to the problem but a mitigation to improve performance.

(2) Check out this page regarding a bug with "ARP" networking. Even though I am just on a consumer cable connection, when I implemented the workaround listed on this page, my performance increased dramatically:
    http://www.macstadium.com/blog/osx-10-9-mavericks-bugs/