safari hangs on certain websites - have tried many things!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jworks, Oct 1, 2009.

1. jworks macrumors newbie

I'm a Mac newby trying to escape the clutches of Bill Gates but getting a little frustrated by this problem. Hope someone can help.

MacBook hangs on certain websites (yahoo mail, cbs sports, mens fraternity) but only from one of my wireless networks. PC works flawlessly on this situation and macbook works flawlessly on my first wireless router so the problem is tied to the interaction between my Macbook and the second wireless router. I've searched the forums and tried many fixes already that have been posted here or elsewhere:

Reset Safari (it then allows me to reach yahoo mail once, hangs on every try thereafter).
    Go to Safari preferences and uncheck the box for warning of fraudulent sites (no change)
    Go to advanced settings and input DNS numbers from my ISP (this solved the problem for some websites but not others)
    try firefox (same problem as safari)
    software update everything (no help)
    install onyx (about to do that).

network is a DSL modem connected to the first wireless router (DLINK N+). Second wireless router is linksys G (the problem child) and it is hardwire connected to first wireless router.

Hope someone can help!

macbook silver 2009
    OS 10.5.8
    safari 4.0.3

2. couto27 macrumors 6502

try to use diferent router

like apple airport extreme

3. jworks thread starter macrumors newbie

i guess i could try that but hate to have to go spend more money because i cant get my mac to do what my old PC seems to do seamlessly.

its a little annoying because i bought the mac to help me avoid these kinds of issues but spending more time trying to solve problems than i did with PC.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Maybe, but it's not me. I don't know how to solve it, but I have another suggestion or two. Sorry to hear of your frustration. Obviously, there are thousands of content Mac users who don't experience this problem.

1) Get new Safari plist file: com.apple.Safari.plist
    You'll find it in the Library folder that is in your Home folder, under Preferences (another folder)
    Drag the file to your Desktop, then go into Safari
    Safari will create a fresh plist file
    No joy? No harm done.
    More headaches? Put that file back, overwriting the new one.

2) Log in under a different User Account
    If that solves it, Trash your other Account

5. jworks thread starter macrumors newbie

no luck yet

Tried the ideas posted so far:

1. Try a new wireless router. Did not go out and buy the apple router but did try another wireless router that i had. same exact problem

2. Also tried Gregg2's suggestions to delete the plist and to try other accounts. no luck.

the only thing that seems to work temporarily is to reset safari. if i do this than i can get to the websites once and then on subsequent tries they won't work anymore.

Thanks for the suggestions. Still hoping for a solution!

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

When you tried Reset Safari..., which items did you check? It almost sounds like a problem with Cookies. Now, if you can find where Cookies are stored, you could just get rid of the ones from the sites that are giving you problems. I don't happen to know how to go about that.

7. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Just to be clear, every browser on your Mac is having trouble accessing these certain sites? Are they equally hard to access from other networks (like wifi at the local bar/coffee shop/etc.)?

If so, have you tried updating Flash and any other plugins you have?

8. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Try software update for the "performance update". I've seen this problem posted all over the place and perhaps this will solve your hang time.

9. jworks thread starter macrumors newbie

making progress

Thanks IgnatiustheKing. Reinstalling flash solved most of the problem (even tho i had the latest version), but still Yahoo mail fails to load consistently. Maybe some other plugins are the problem there.

Odd problem in that it only occurs on my second wireless router, happens in both firefox and safari and is limited to the mac (PC works fine).

10. jworks thread starter macrumors newbie

Still searching for a solution!!

If you can help with this one, please do!! Still having the same problem. Some of the solutions have partially helped but can't connect to many websites as described above. Bumping this back up to see if anyone has a suggestion. Thanks

11. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Try this:
    1. Download OnyX (a free maintenance utility).

10.6 Snow Leopard Link:
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582

10.5 Leopard Link:
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/joel.barriere/dl/105/OnyX.dmg

10.4 Tiger Link:
    http://www.titanium.free.fr/dl/104/OnyX.dmg

2. Open OnyX and Click Cancel on these two Alert Panels:
    -Cancel the S.M.A.R.T. Box
    -Cancel the Startup Volume Box

3. Enter your Password

4. Click on the Cleaning Tab

5. In each tab, within the Cleaning Tab, execute the command. Check all the boxes in each tab. When its finished in that tab, it will ask you to reboot. Say NO. Go on to the next tab and repeat until all tabs, within the Cleaning Tab, are done. THEN REBOOT.

12. Cenobite macrumors newbie

Disable IPv6 in your network interface preferences and see if it helps. Windows versions before Vista do not use IPv6 what might be the reason why your Win PC is not affected.

13. jworks thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you john doe 57!

and boom goes the dynamite! Thanks John Doe 57. I did exactly as you suggested and problem is solved. I have no idea why but not sure i need to know.

thank you very much.

14. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

My pleasure!