Safari has dissappointing zoom

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NewGenAdam, Jul 3, 2008.

1. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

I'm following the whole Resolution Independence debate (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=504902), and think oh, I bet Safari does a great job of zooming, et cetera (being a Windows/Firefox user BUT NOT FOR LONG!). Because Apple claim to be totally in there with the whole fiasco.

So. I opened Safari. Pressed ctrl + (cmd +) a few times to zoom in. SHOCK!
    It doesn't even zoom websites properly. It just increases font size, misplacing everything around them...
    Compared to Firefox 3, which does a superb job scaling everything beautifully, the whole page, and working properly when it's finished.

I hope Apple plan to implement some sort of zoom which actually works, because otherwise I'll have to use Firefox, without multitouch support =( .

Well, I suppose this isn't an issue for many people! But I would expect Apple to have a better way to handle this.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Resolution independance is not fully supported by Apple yet. It was abandoned shortly before the release of Leopard. Hopefully it will be available in the next OS release but we will see.

As an aside though, zooming looks great in Safari on Mac OS X. God knows about Windows though.

3. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

IE scales text as well as offering the page zoom. Firefox used to scale text, now it scales the page.

Safari 4 will scale the whole page up, not just the text.

http://connect.apple.com/

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

IE's image zoom is not as smooth as Firefox's. And firefox still allow user to "zoom text only" if they choose to
    terminal tricks can enable safari to zoom full page right now (nonono, have to be webkit recent nightly, no safari), but when only one image is open, safari will not zoom it. Firefox still does

Firefox remembers site-specific zoom settings as well.
    Somebody previously offered a link for direct download w/o sign up.