Safari has less control over cookies in each new version

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sill, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Sill macrumors 6502a

I just updated my 2017 iMac to High Sierra, and my 2012 iMac to Mojave. Both were previously on Sierra.

I used to really like the cookie control I had on Safari. I used to open the cookie list and everything was grouped by site, and each site had a little triangle I could click on to expand the list of data files that sites left on my machine. I could see whether they were cookies, cache, databases, or trackers. It was easy to log into a site, switch to blocking all cookies, and then go delete all the unwanted files item by item. I used to get a quiet joy out of finding all the Google "ut_*" cookies and exterminating them.

Then Safari version 10 came along, and the cookie handling changed. The grouping by site was gone, and all I had was a master header for each site that would say "cookies, cache, database", and I couldn't delete individual files. At least I could still log in to a site and then block new cookies, or at least leave it on "allow current website only" if I had to be on a site like Apple that freaks out if I go look at a page without cookies. And at least I could use Ghostery to block those pesky trackers.

Now I'm up to version 11 or 12, depending on the machine. Gone completely are my cookie controls. I now have a chance to either have them totally on, or totally off. I can't log in to my sites and then turn off the cookies, because Safari tells me "fine, I'm just going to delete all your data!". This is just like when they changed the "clear history" option under the History menu to also delete cookies and other data.

I switched to using an old version of Safari Tech Preview that still had the better cookie management, and now that seems to be dying. I keep getting alerts to download the new version, and unless I paste a known working link into the browser from my newer Safari, the STP browser simply goes haywire and refuses to load anything.

Is Apple honestly trying to make it so that I cannot simply block unwanted cookies? It seems that way. Is Apple actively trying to prevent anyone from allowing me to stop trackers? They have pushed Ghostery out, so it looks that way.

I'm really uncomfortable leaving any browser wide open just so I can have a few site specific cookies active.
    Does anyone here have any idea how I can block unwanted cookies and still have login cookies persist on my current Safari install?

2. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

3. Sill thread starter macrumors 6502a

The linked article was very thorough in explaining what the API does, but "automatically" is a bit of a misapplied term when ITP takes 30 days to delete cookies, wouldn't you say? I think it would be a better approach to offer both ITP 2.x and granular controls, because now that I have only an "either/or" option with cookies, and Ghostery is gone, I see stuff in my cookie stash that I haven't had on my machine in years. I'd really like to be able to blacklist trackers and cookies myself simply by selecting the offender and hitting a single button. The only other alternative now is to edit my Host file.

Interesting to see that the devs have put some protection in against bounce trackers. DealMac/DealNews is going to be affected directly by that. I've noticed that when I make the mistake of clicking any links in their daily emails, it pushes my browser through up to half a dozen different pages for a split second each before finally showing me the item I want to look at. I've found its better to just look the item up on their site and then click through to get the discount codes or whatever.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

5. Sill thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, that looks like exactly what I want. Thanks!!!!