Safari Help - MS Outlook Webmail Preview Pane?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by g-boac, Dec 28, 2007.

1. g-boac macrumors 6502

Does anybody know what I need to do to get Safari to show the message preview pane when using MS Outlook Webmail in Safari? When running in Windows (Vista or XP) using IE or Firefox, a preview pane window shows up automatically. Does anybody know what I need to do in Safari to get it to show?

(note - the preview pane is not a popup. . .it is part of the open browser window). If I picture would help, I can post a couple screenshots here to illustrate. . .but could someone help and let me know how I can upload a graphic to a thread?

thanks!!
    Mark

2. brentkend macrumors newbie

Fix for MS Outlook Webmail Preview Pane

I found a workaround for this. On the Mac OS X, the MS Outlook Webmail requires Microsoft Internet Explorer to run certain modes, including the preview pane. I found the following application will allow you to get it to work correctly:

Download Darwine from: http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/

Follow the instructions at that site, then download the ie4osx application: http://www.kronenberg.org/ies4osx/

This will allow Internet Explorer to run on the Mac OS X, and you will be able to use the preview pane option on the Outlook Webmail.

It has a couple of bugs. First, it will launch fine at first, but sometimes after closing it down it does not re-launch, and it will run a process in the background that can take a significant amount of your system resources. To work around this, you can do one of two things:
    - Reboot
    - Directly stop the "wine" process in the Process Viewer application.

Honestly, I'm not sure this is worth the trouble just for the preview pane feature. It would be nice if Firefox or Safari could be fixed to allow full use of the MS Outlook Webmail features.