Safari help...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by axeldtf, Jul 22, 2014.

1. axeldtf macrumors 6502

Is anyone else having a problem with safari? I cant get it to work.. i even reset it a few times.. the application will load and no pages will open up.. Meanwhile chrome is working without a hitch.. Granted i have an older mac,, i'm running snow leopard and have safari version 5.1.10, any ideas on what i should do?

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

What exactly do you mean by pages won't open? Are you getting an error message? Ss there anything in the address bar?

Extra information would be very beneficial in diagnosing the problem.

3. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

the safari application will launch from the dock like normal.. the address bar will seem like the page is loading and either they do load 10 minutes later ( not and exaggeration ) or the page times out.. but on google chrome pages are opening fine.. i even shut down chrome thinking it was too many browsers being used at one time..

4. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

That's certainly peculiar. Are you running any extensions in Safari? If so, what happens when you turn them off?

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I'll offer a suggestion, you may or may not wish to try it.

After you get Safari started, go to the Safari Preferences/General, and set things this way:
    Safari opens with "a new window"
    New windows open with "empty page"
    New tabs open with "empty page"
    Homepage = nothing in this field at all

Now, quit Safari and restart.

Any better?

6. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

extensions are turned to off.. i've reset safari a couple times.. no dice

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Not really peculiar. I have the same OS, the same Safari, and the same issues.

Darn! I don't like two out of the four, but the other two are what I have set. And I had to copy and paste, because the "multi-quote" buttons are not working tonight.

8. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Peculiar from my experiences. I've never seen Safari act like it doesn't have a connection when the computer obviously does.