Safari help.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by damooster, May 28, 2007.

1. damooster macrumors newbie

I like Safari over the other browsers I have tried, but there is one thing that it does that annoys me to hell.

I take online classes and when I click on my "class room" link, Safari opens up another browser that spans across the whole screen. Is there any way to force pop-ups to open in a new tab and not resize the whole window? Firefox has an add-on that does this called Tab Mix Plus if that helps. And I'd rather not use Firefox, I like Safari.

Thank you.

p.s. This is a completely separate subject but I'd piggyback it: when the Leopard OS comes out, will current customers have to buy it or will it be a free upgrade? Thanks.

2. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Try Command-clicking. Or you can right-click and choose 'Open In A New Tab'. (I hope my memory isn't failing me. I've been using my pc laptop a lot more than my mac recently. :eek: )

Leopard will not be a free upgrade. Based on the past, I'd guess that it will be about $130.

3. damooster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Oryan but neither of those suggestions worked :(. As for the new OS, I don't mind buying it, but how often does a new OS get released? Am I going to have to buy a new one every year or something?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

SafariStand, SAFT, or a number of other plug-ins that have been discussed ad-nauseum, have an option to force attempts to target open into a new window into tabs. They don't act on "pop-ups" of the wanted (or, I guess unwanted) kind, though. So if the window is triggered via a javascript pop-up command, it won't be affected. Usually, though, if it manages to be diverted to a new tab in Firefox, it will in Safari also.

As for the plug-ins, you can find them pretty easily by googling. ;)

5. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

No one forces you to buy a new OS, if the current one fulfils you needs then stay with it.

Apple did release every 12 months at the beginning of the decade as they got the new OS X architecture up to speed.

They have now slowed down to 18-24 month release cycles.

Each major update is charged for, it was around $129, but I feel it may be more pricey this time round. The flip side is I believe they will chuck in iLife and maybe iWork into bargain. Apple Execs were believed to be toying with this idea according to a rumour.