Safari Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by korupt, Dec 29, 2007.

1. korupt macrumors newbie

Last night my sister was on my computer and it froze. She was on MSN only so she reset it by cutting the power to it. When she turned it back on and opened Safari, it opened for about 30 seconds then automatically closes but MSN still works. Any suggestions? I'm running Mac OSX 10.4.11 Tiger. Thank you!

PS. I've tried the modem and router already. I also tried to reset safari.
    Also when I bought my comp, It didn't come with a disc

2. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Try to quit MSN under Activity Monitor>Processes>Quit
    Alo check in Accounts>Login Items if its checked to start at login

3. korupt thread starter macrumors newbie

none of that worked but thanks. Any other suggestions?

4. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

OK so let me make it clear. When you turn on computer the MSN is starting although its not in the startup login?
    Hmm try to delete preferences for Safari and MSN in your Library folder.
    Also do you have one or more accounts? Is it the same under different account?
    By the way who resets computer by cutting the power off :(

5. korupt thread starter macrumors newbie

my dumb sister.

Basically if you start up the comp everything loads fine nothings in the startup bar. you open MSN manually and that works. But when you open the ineternet it loads up the home page and about 30 seconds after its loaded it closes it and theres only 1 account on the comp

6. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

OK I dont really remember MSN cos Im using Adium but as far as Im concerned in MSN preferences is box login at startup. Look if its checked. Also try to delete those safari preferences and also in cache is safari folder. Delete it as well. Empty the trash and try to restart it.
    Also if it doesnt work create new account and try Safari there. If its not gonna work Im out of ideas. Are you using Leopard? And is that Safari 3.0.4?

7. korupt thread starter macrumors newbie

sweet the account idea worked. I'm on Tiger right now. I just got this about 2 months ago so I don't know much about Mac right now but is there a way to transfer all my files from the one account to the other?

8. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Not really an easy way. But that means that some file in your library is corrupted. Try also to trasch from User>Preferences>com.apple.Safari.plist and try if that works for your old account

9. korupt thread starter macrumors newbie

nope that didn't work. i'll just use the other account. thanks for your help kind sir/maam(?)