safari->history

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kristince, Nov 28, 2011.

1. kristince macrumors newbie

I want to know if u have deleted some web sides on history from safari how u can get back?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you using Time Machine? You could restore the history from the last Time Machine backup.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If you just hit the button delete too soon. Some hdd retrieval software might help.
    It basicly seeks the drive and rebuild meta data for deleted files. Usually when you delete a file it only deletes the entry of the file in a sort of look up table. If the file is not in that table it cannot be found and the data stored at the physical location is only protected if there is an entry in that table. Thus it can be overwritten by whatever else is written on the drive and once overwritten it is pretty much impossible to get the data back. There are some theories how it works but everything I read on actual practical studies say that not even the CIA could pull it off, although there are these recommendations of overwriting multiple times to be safe but that is a myth as far as my research goes.
    In case a browser does a save delete (it overwrites the data with something else) you are out of luck. In any other case as long as it was just recently deleted changes are the data is still there and such a retrieval tool can find it.
    Awefully timeconsuming and cumbersome though.