Safari History

Discussion in 'macOS' started by THP123, Oct 2, 2009.

1. THP123 macrumors newbie

I hope this hasn't been covered elsewhere (I can't find it if it has).
    My problem is that the history setting although set to " Remove history items after one day " does not. I Have reset Safari 4.0.3 and it still doesn't delete the history. Applecare can't seem to solve the problem either. Please help, although this isn't a major problem it is very annoying. This was happening before SL and I was hoping SL upgrade may have fixed this but it hasn't.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

What did Apple suggest?

One of the first things I go for is one of the easiest to try: replace the appropriate plist file. In this case that's com.apple.Safari.plist

Do you know the drill? If not, after recounting Apple's suggestions, let us know.

3. THP123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Gregg2
    Yeah I've tried that with Apple senior Tech they seem to have given up.
    I tried to download Safari again in the hope of overwriting my version but an error occurred telling me I had the wrong version of Mac OSx.
    I know this may sound stupid but I am a complete newbie, if I drag the Safari icon out of the Apps window does that delete Safari completely. Maybe then I could reinstall.
    Thanks again.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Before you reinstall...

I probably should first have asked if you had tried / suggested that you try Safari Menu > Reset Safari... Of course, you would then check Clear History.

Dragging the Safari icon out of Applications does not remove everything Safari. (I assume you're meaning drag it to the Trash.)

Quit Safari.
    Delete Safari
    Delete the receipts file at /Library/Receipts/Safari4.0Tiger.pkg
    Delete Users/Home folder/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari
    Empty Trash

might have a different ending

Mount Safari 3.1.1.dmg file
    Run Safari311UpdPPC.pkg

could be a different version