Safari Hogging Huge Amounts of RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macbookproFTW!, Nov 25, 2009.

1. macbookproFTW! macrumors newbie

Hi

Lately Safari has been hogging HUGE amounts of RAM after a while. After logging in on just this site to post this it has risen to 150MB! if I have several tabs open (2-4) it rises to about 600MB. This slows my system considerably as I only have 2GB total. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I have about the same numbers and I to think it's a bit to much, hope a fixes is available or Apple will fix it in a update.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

4. macbookproFTW! thread starter macrumors newbie

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get more memory - 2gb is the minimum you'd want and clearly you're bumping up against the ceiling.

Use a different browser.

Safari is a memory hog, no doubt about that, and being the case you have two options, adding more ram, or not using safari.

6. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Do you have any Safari "addons" or "extensions" installed? I know some versions of 1password leak memory like crazy, for example.

7. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Plus ram is cheap these days. Upgrading from 2gigs of DDR3 to 4 is only 100 bones, and you'll get crucial memory. I am going to be doing it. Then I will sell my old 2 gigs of DDR3 for like 25 bucks for something.
    The upgrade will only end up costing 75 bucks. Thats 75 for oodles of better performance. Do it, memory leaks be damned!

*edit- Go mow some lawns if 75 bucks isn't affordable.

8. macbookproFTW! thread starter macrumors newbie

No extensions running and I'd rather just sell my laptop and build an i7 hackintosh than buy $80 worth of ram.