Safari, Hughesnet, and Firefox

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bozangeles001, Nov 15, 2007.

1. bozangeles001 macrumors newbie

bozangeles001

I'm having what I believe is a Hughesnet/Mac issue that seems to be tied to recent versions of Firefox & Safari. I have been unable to access my gmail account via Firefox for the last three or four weeks and after upgrading to Tiger 10.4.11 this morning I'm running into the same problem with Safari.

The gmail Web page either hangs up on an infinite loop or there is an error and the Web page stops loading. This is happening on my G5 iMac but I have the same problem on my MacBook as well. Is anyone else having problems with speed browser based email with Hughesnet? The in house network is an Airport Extreme with an Airport Express added to boost network range.

Please note that my Hughes net (commercial satellite) system has never been very fast at loading Web pages on any of my four Macs although the data downloads usually run at about 1 Megabit.

Also there is no anti virus software installed on either effected system.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Contact your ISP. They may need to give you fresh settings.

3. bozangeles001 thread starter macrumors newbie

bozangeles001

Still Not Working

Fresh settings from my ISP? That's a new one. How fresh?

The issue is an Apple problem that showed up after the 10.4.11 update. Whether it is OS related or Safari related or both has yet to be determined. Fortunately we have two other Macs running 10.4.10 that work fine.

This is the latest error message I received attempting to use the latest version of Firefox (2.0.0.9) with gmail.

"We're sorry. It seems there is a problem. Please try using Gmail with a supported browser. If you're encountering this error while using a supported browser, we suggest alerting your Internet Service Provider (ISP) that a proxy is failing to accept cookies on HTTP redirects."

Note that the problems with gmail and Firefox started after the latest Firefox update. The Apple forums are full of people having problems with Safari 3.0.4.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, I didn't realise other Macs on your network were fine with it. I thought it may have been a DNS issue.