Safari images on iPhone and iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by copydeskcat, Jan 2, 2009.

1. copydeskcat macrumors regular

My wife recently got an iPhone 8GB on O2 here in the UK. I've got a 32GB iPod Touch (getting a 16GB iPhone on Tuesday).

However, something I noticed today (this has possibly been posted before) - when I browse websites on 3G on the iPhone, the images are dithered. When I browse websites on the iPhone on wi-fi, they're crystal clear. They're always crystal clear on the Touch.

I thought it was just an iPod Touch/iPhone thing - but it looks like the iPhone somehow downloads a lower quality version of an image, or something - unless it's on wifi.

Is this correct, and why would it be the case? Why can't it just download the original image?

CDC

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I would guess it is to load pages faster when it's on the comparatively slower connections provided by Edge/3G as opposed to WiFi.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I know nothing about Safari images (I haven't noticed what you're saying) but Youtube gives high quality on Wi-fi and low quality on 3G/EDGE. Perhaps there's something similar happening with images.

But I'm not sure. Other cell phones do that, but I was pretty sure the iPhone didn't. It would be a big deal since either AT&T or Apple would have to have thousands of computers doing the down-rezzing, and I haven't heard anything about that.

So I'm pretty sure there's something else going on here.