Safari in 32bit mode

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Washac, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

Try as I might how do I get into Safari prefs to change it to 32bit working ?

Thanks....

2. David G. macrumors 65816

Single click on Safari in your Applications folder. Then push "command" and "i" at the same time on your keyboard to bring up the Get Info display box. Under General, click the box to the left of "Open in 32 bit mode" so that there is a check mark. Close that and restart Safari. Boom.

3. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Thanks, done it now :)

4. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

I've tried to do this so I can watch espn360. But even if I do this 360 still won't load. And if I open activity monitor it says safari is still in 64 bit.

5. David G. macrumors 65816

You've restarted Safari with 32 bit mode checked, correct?

6. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

Restarted safari. Restarted mac. And ran cocktail

7. David G. macrumors 65816

What computer are you using? None of your macs you have listed in your public profile are even 64 bit capable.

8. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

9. David G. macrumors 65816

I can't figure out the solution right now. However, I am installing Xcode to see if their is anything that could be manual changed in the Plist editor to solve this conundrum. Please bare with me for a few minutes.

10. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

forgive my memory lapse...

i ran xslimmer on my mac pro and it stripped all the 32 bit code from the apps. so safari only has 64 bit on my mac pro.

now, where do i find a defualts safari.app with both archs in it?

11. David G. macrumors 65816

Do you have a time machine backup?

If not, I would download Safari again from Apple, delete the current version your using now in your apps folder. Empty trash. Reinstall it. You might also want to delete com.apple.Safari.plist in users, username, library, preferences before you install it again.

12. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

i thought of that but looked at apples forums a few minutes ago and several people said the one you download from apple is only for tiger and leopard not SL. a few post also said the only way is to get it off the SL dvd. which i can do but its deeply buried in a box in our baby closet covered with newborn baby stuff. if i cant find it online i may just empty the closet to get the dvd.

13. David G. macrumors 65816

I'm not positive on this but even if they are different (two different versions for 10.6 and 10.5 that is) you will be able to install the leopard version and then Software Update will get you the Snow Leopard version with both 32 and 64 bit after it runs through it's paces.

Edit to add: Congrats on the newborn!

14. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

It won't work. The installer says it can't find a HD with 10.5.8 on it. (or something similar to that).

I'm proud of her. Pics at preachertony.com. Link is on the home page

15. David G. macrumors 65816

I guess it's closet digging time. I would email it to you or put it up on my .mac page for you but Apple frowns on that. Good luck!

16. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

no problem. probably need to go through all of it anyway, just got another trash bag full of stuff from my sister in law today ive got to find room for