General Safari in iOS 8 beta 2

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by alezano, Jul 6, 2014.

1. alezano macrumors member

How are safari performance in ios 8 beta2? Is it reloading tabs as quickly as ios7?

2. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

iOS 8 won't add aditional RAM, so it won't be fixed. Loading heavy dekstop websites with Retina display resolution, 1GB ram and 64bit OS, if talking about iPad air, is kinda bombastic

3. Zombolo macrumors member

Still crashing on site like nin.com or similar?

4. KrisLord macrumors 6502a

Nin.com is fine on B2 on my iPad Air.

5. alezano thread starter macrumors member

Ios 7.1 Improved greatly my ipad air experience in safari, so i think it is mainly a bad coding issue. just IMO.

6. crashoverride77, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Also in 7.1.2 they added a lot of fixes to safari in regards to memory management. I defiantly think there was an improvement with tab reloading although you will still see refresh depending on the websites you visit and apps you have open. As a previous user said they can only do so much with 1gb ram but I think it has improved again since 7.1.2.

7. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Yep. For me huge improvement iOS 7.1.2 because till that I had atleast one Safari crash and springboard on my iPad air. From latest first day update till now only one time Safari crashed. Seems stable but not best what Apple could do :) but those tabs refreshes won't gone for heavy desktop websites, RAM amount is the issue here :)

8. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Exactly, safari is much better for me as well since 7.1.2. Hopefully 2gb at least in the new iPads ....

9. Casiotone macrumors 6502a

Casiotone

A lot of the page reloading in iOS 7, in 64-bit devices in particular, have been attributed to a lack of RAM. But in reality I suspect that a good percentage of those reloads were page crashes coming from bugs in WebKit. It's no easy task to port an entire OS from 32 to 64-bit, and it's very possible that the 64-bit version had more loose ends, causing more page reloads from crashes.

iOS 8 beta 2 introduces a new feature in Safari which will show a banner saying "This page was reloaded because of a problem." when it is the case, enabling you to distinguish page crashes from instances where Safari ran out of memory.

Unfortunately the feature is a little buggy for now, but I think it shows that Apple is aware of the page reloading issue and I expect great improvements in b3-b4.

10. alezano thread starter macrumors member

Glad to know. Thanks for your answer! ;)

11. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

7.1.2 is definitely better than 7.0, but I still get a lot of tabs reloading, is iOS 8 better or the same, I'm hoping not worse, but it is a beta.