Safari in iOS 8 on iPad Air

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by MartyCan, Jan 2, 2015.

1. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

It is absolutely brutal. Right now the keyboard is covering the area I am typing in. I notice this on Forums in particular. I have to manually scroll the screen up.

Selecting text in a post while editing is also terrible. The pop-up menu won't appear. It can be very difficult to get the cursor located where you want. If you type a message that is long enough to fill the provided text box the text starts appeaing outside the box.

If I go back and edit in something I am typing and try to relocate the cursor at the end of what I've typed it is nearly impossible to place the cursor without it selecting the last word typed.

I actually went to the Apple site to try and report a bug but I'll be darned if I can find how to do that. Tried a search. Got useless results and when I tried to scroll the page up to see more of the list of search results the keyboard would leap up over what I was scrolling. I repeated this several times to be sure I was not accidentally touching a text box when I scrolled.

I'm an Apple fan but this is really frustrating me a lot. My wife's Air2 does not seem to behave this way.

Anyone else having Safari issues ime this? Any solutions?

2. RebornProphet Suspended

Add to that the slight keyboard input 'delay' in landscape mode and the horridly sluggish animations when you tap the omnibar (address of current site highlights and slides left as the keyboard comes on screen). In portrait it's fine, but landscape is a mess.

3. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Actually lately Safari has been pretty choppy for me. Getting a lot of white pages and certain sections of pages have blocks of white, have to load the page again.

It's also slow to load pages at times,other times it's fine.

4. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Does anyone really think that Air 1's processor and gpu are not capable of running Safari? I don't think so. It ran Safari reasonably well in iOS 7.1.2 so it MUST run perfectly on 8.1.2. Apple themselves mention that iOS 8 is also optimized for A7 devices, which is clear bulls**t.

Hence I have concluded that this is a deliberate attempt by Apple to force everyone to upgrade to Air 2 if people do side by side comparison of both the tablets in their stores.

THIS is called as Planned Obsolescence!

5. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Actually I do also at times get pages that are VERY slow to load. But this stuff should just not be a problem on the Air 1.

6. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

I'm running an ipad 4 with 7.1.2 and Safari loads up pages faster than my iphone 6 does side by side! What ever they did to safari in ios 8 sucks for performance. And the tab reloading is weird. Ios 6 safari on my iphone 5 would keep 8 fully loaded pages in memory forever even when I had a few other apps open. Now on my iphone 6 I could have 2 or 3 tabs open and I'll go away for a little and come back and they all need to reload!! Something's not working right!

7. RebornProphet, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015

RebornProphet Suspended

The pages load quick enough, it's just the UI for Safari is sluggish on my Air 1 on 8.1.2.

Everything else is fine, the tablet is fine to use and very quick. I've began using Chrome because Safari's interface is just too sluggish. When you tap the address bar in Chrome the animation for the keyboard coming up from the bottom of the screen is super smooth for example and the keyboard is far more responsive when typing.