Safari in iOS and iPadOS 14 Might Include Built-In Translator, Full Apple Pencil Support

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to add a built-in language translation feature and full Apple Pencil support to Safari in iOS and iPadOS 14, according to details found in a leaked version of iOS 14 by 9to5Mac.

Safari's built-in translation feature would allow users to translate web pages without using a third-party app or service. If such a feature comes to iOS 14, we can probably also count on it coming to the next-generation version of macOS as well.

The code suggests the translation option will be available for each website that's visited, but an automatic translation feature will also be able to be turned on, similar to Chrome's automatic translation. Apple also appears to be testing translation options for other apps, such as the App Store, allowing users to do things like read reviews in other languages.

Apple's translations are powered by the Neural Engine and may work with or without an internet connection.

As for the Apple Pencil, Apple may be planning to add full support for Apple Pencil input on websites, which would allow it to be used for drawing and marking up. This feature would be limited to iPadOS 14 as the Apple Pencil does not work on iPhones.

Earlier this year, MacRumors discovered new PencilKit features that will allow users to handwrite text in any text input field using the Apple Pencil, with the handwritten content then converted into standard text.

The code also indicates Apple is working on a kind of "Magic Fill" feature that will let users draw a general shape in an app and have it filled in by the operating system.

The leaked version of iOS 14 that's been floating around the internet is an early version of the software and it's not clear if Apple's development plans have changed or if some features might be delayed due to the global health crisis.

We'll find out what we can expect in iOS 14 on June 22, which is when Apple's virtual WWDC event is set to kick off.

Article Link: Safari in iOS and iPadOS 14 Might Include Built-In Translator, Full Apple Pencil Support

Last edited:

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
This is very cool. I am all for built-in apps and functionality that is actually useful. I have few apps in my iPhone and I try to use Apple’s offering as long as they are decently good. If this is true I can finally ditch Google Chrome and Google Translate.

I use the stock Mail app as it is good enough for me. I am giving Apple Maps a third (or fourth) try to see if I can stick to it this time.

blairh

macrumors 68040
Dec 11, 2007
I hate the placement of the bookmarks tab on the iPad. Put it on the bottom right like the iPhone.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
If this goes like Siri and all other region-features, we probably can only translate English and Spanish for the next 20 years. Maybe we can translate all languages somewhere with iOS 34.
Came here to write the same 😁
I love Apple products but their language related features are horrendous. So terrible its amusing.

jclo

Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
California
On another rumour site, it specifically mentioned Pencil support was for iPadOS.
If it were for iOS 14, that would suggest the new iPhone 12 would support the Pencil, something I doubt ever happening.
Yes, apologies for any confusion, I've made the wording clearer. The Apple Pencil support is not for the iPhone as the iPad is the only device that works with Apple Pencil.

joshdammit

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
Still no support for multiple user accounts but stupid pencil on the phone? :rolleyes:
Why do you need multiple user accounts on an iPhone? And if you want to share an iPad that badly, buy a MacBook Air. They're about the same price as an iPad Pro, anyway and you can have multiple user accounts to keep your pron safe and secure. Some people just have to have something to complain about.

PR.

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2005
Bedford, UK
Would be nice if we could also have the macOS Safari option of being able to globally disable 'Auto-play videos' and then opt-in on sites that you actually want.

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
If this goes like Siri and all other region-features, we probably can only translate English and Spanish for the next 20 years. Maybe we can translate all languages somewhere with iOS 34.
Siri already does a pretty good job of translating between german and english, fwiw.
- - Post merged: - -

Why do you need multiple user accounts on an iPhone? And if you want to share an iPad that badly, buy a MacBook Air. They're about the same price as an iPad Pro, anyway and you can have multiple user accounts to keep your pron safe and secure. Some people just have to have something to complain about.
If you have multiple kids, having multiple user accounts on an ipad is pretty important.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Apple markets it as a computer replacement so I think multiple users is a reasonable request. Apple will drag their feet tho because they would rather you buy more than one iPad

Reactions: Darth Tulhu

mrr

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2008
Apple: It is finally time for the iPhone to support the Apple Pencil.

Finger painting on the iPhone sucks.

RickDEGH

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2018
Germany
This is the only thing keeping me from ditching Chrome entirely on my Mac. Living in Germany means this is a must for me. Also, can’t wait to ditch the bloated MS translator app on my phone.

JosephAW

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2012
There needs to be a Siri always on feature to have a natural continual conversation and it builds upon what you last said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.