Safari in Leopard does not automatically add .com

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JayLenochiniMac, Nov 7, 2007.

1. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I have an annoying problem in Leopard where typing a domain name and pressing return does not add www. and .com on and instead re-directs me to a page by my internet provider, Verizon, with a list of links. This does not happen in Tiger in the macbook even in the same household. Is there a workaround if it's an ISP issue with Leopard?

2. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Are you joking?. This has already been talked about. There's a great search feature on this site. Please try it before posting.

3. JayLenochiniMac thread starter macrumors G5

Sorry. Didn't find it in my search. Please delete thread.

4. JayLenochiniMac thread starter macrumors G5

Actually, that thread doesn't solve anything. I do not observe this problem in Tiger so it appears to be a Leopard issue. Does anybody have a workaround?

5. admiraldennis macrumors regular

If I remember correctly, the OpenDNS DNS servers auto-complete domains like you desire.

6. JayLenochiniMac thread starter macrumors G5

Thanks. I will try it when I get home.

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Everybody's a cop. :rolleyes:

8. JayLenochiniMac thread starter macrumors G5

I changed DNS to openDNS and it's a good workaround. However, it seems to slow loading speed considerably as it first directs the page to http://guide.opendns.com/?url:domainname before going to http://www.domainname.com. Safari in Tiger doesn't seem to do that and instead automatically adds www. and .com to the domain name. Is this a feature (or lack thereof) of Safari 3 in Leopard?

9. jdovejr macrumors newbie

its a dns thing

these sprint dns servers will take care of it and are accessible from any connection:

10. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

I'm not lazy so I finish urls on my own and this isn't a big deal for me (I didn't even know about it). It's four characters, or one quarter of a second.

11. nsjfoster macrumors newbie

I was having same issue and adding just 4.2.2.1 to DNS as below seems to now have ".com" autocomplete as before. I tried a few company names I don't surf to and they all seemed to work fine. Thanx.