Safari increases Swap memory significantly, causes computer to be sluggish

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tongteh, Jul 25, 2011.

1. tongteh macrumors 6502

I find it really interesting that safari usually cause my swap memory to be increase significantly. In 3-4hours browsing with Safari I could average around 2GB of Swap used in activity monitor. Do you guys find this quite common for your system as well?

In Lion, some or many of us are facing major sluggishness with safari and I am one of them that being forced to switch to another browser. I am using Google Chrome currently and interestingly enough Chrome hasn't increase my swap a single bit after browsing for hours!

In apple own words: "Moving data from physical memory to disk is called paging out (or swapping out); moving data from disk to physical memory is called paging in (or swapping in)… Extended periods of paging activity reduce performance significantly; such activity is sometimes called disk thrashing."

At first I thought maybe I am due to upgrade my memory or something but since I swap to Chrome, the sluggishness in Lion is all gone. I still miss some of the feature in Safari but performance wise, Chrome appears to be much better than Safari.

Anyone have further insight?

2. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

3. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Try disabling the 2 finger Back/Forward gesture and switch it back to the 3 finger one (it's in trackpad settings).

By doing this I believe it should stop saving page previews in RAM and hopefully cut down on memory usage.

4. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

nope, I don't have any plugins or extensions install on my mac at the moment. Gosh, it would have probably been worst with them.

Probably try you suggestion for disabling two finger swipe and see if it makes any difference?

Aren't there anyone who experience high memory usage with Safari?

5. LevMac macrumors 6502

LevMac

Hi there, myself included, there are a lot of people experiencing this issue !

Check out this thread...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1181523

6. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

that thread is specifically to Safari 5.1, but I do notice that even prior to 5.1 Safari has always been creating lots of Swap for my machine. Nevertheless, I agree that Safari 5.1 probably made it all worst.

I am thinking could it be how safari is build, or something to do with the software architecture.

Or anyone know any get around with this?

7. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

wow, thanks for this tip

just done this and the ram used by Safari has almost halved

8. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

Didn't work for me unfortunately.

9. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I might have spoken to soon, but will keep monitoring

yeaterday after a couple of hours usage (safari + safari web content) where using around 600meg, currently they are on 400

unsure exactly what the swap used means in activity monitor, but yesterday this was around 200meg, currently its sitting on zero

10. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Removing extensions and 2 finger swiping does nothing to fix this issue. I've used a lot of browsers, but none come close to being as bad as this.