Safari & Internet Banking Site

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pixiedusted, May 8, 2008.

1. pixiedusted macrumors newbie

When I go to my internet banking site, it asks for my user id which I enter. It then takes me the security question challenge. There are two option...one is that this is a personal computer--register me, and the other, this is a public computer--don't register. The public one is automatically selected.

I changed it to the personal one, then answered the security question before submitting. Then I can log in. But the next time I try to log in, the same thing happens--Safari is not remembering or registering me.

This seems to be the only site it's happening on, and it doesn't happen in Firefox (same site.) The bank customer service could not help me out.

I tried deleted the bookmark to the site, resetting Safari, then re-entering it all, but it doesn't seem to help either.

it's Safari 3.1.1 on Leopard 10.5.2.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. pixiedusted thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried--they couldn't help. It seems to be a Safari issue since it doesn't happen in Firefox.

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

It could have something to do with Safari not being built with good enough security features. PayPal is not supporting Safari because of it's lack of anti-phishing support in the browser.

That might be the issue with your bank as well.

Peace:cool:

5. dirtleg macrumors member

My bank has recently begun using a similar (probably the same) security system for online banking. I have had no problems with getting registered or logging in for a couple of months now. Also, I've been using Paypal for a couple of years with no problems what-so-ever.

Currently using Safari 3.1

6. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Try changing Safari's user agent to another browser. Go to Preferences -> Advanced and enable "Show Develop Menu in menu bar" option. Then go to Develop-> User Agent and pick something other than Safari. If it works, that will show you that your bank disables certain features specifically for Safari. I am guessing your bank's IT dept. does not want to support Safari fully for some reason.

7. pixiedusted thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked when i switched to Firefox, but it didn't seem like that setting (from the default to Firefox) held either.

Should it? And should I use that setting (to Firefox)?

Suggestions??

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Very unlikely, Paypal isn't actually blocking Safari, they are just saying its not as good as it could be.

The problem is that if you change the user agent you may not get Safari specific code that has been made for a site. However if Safari works fine with the Firefox user agent, send your bank an email telling them so, so that they can stop blocking Safari.