Safari Internet Plug-Ins - plz help..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jon08, Jul 20, 2010.

1. jon08 macrumors 68000

I just realized that I have a bunch of plugins for Safari, yet some of them I don't even remember installing.

Could sb please tell me if it's safe to delete any of these? I would just like to have the essential ones..

Please see the attached pic - I am not quite sure what use do the ones I marked with a red dot have... should I keep them or can I erase some of them?

And why are there so many "Aliases"?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. MacKeeperFanMod macrumors regular

MacKeeperFanMod

Safari stores its plug-in files in one of two locations. The first location is /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/. This location contains plug-ins that are available to all users of your Mac, and is where you will find most plug-ins. The second location is your home directory’s Library folder at ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins/. The tilde (~) in the pathname is a shortcut for your user account name. For example, if your user account name is Tom, the full pathname would be /Tom/Library/Internet Plug-ins. This location holds plug-ins that Safari only loads when you log in to your Mac.

To remove a plug-in, use the Finder to go to the appropriate location and drag the file whose name matches the description entry in the Installed Plug-ins page to the Trash. If you want to save the plug-in for possible later use, you can drag the file to another location on your Mac, perhaps a folder called Disabled Plug-ins that you create in your home directory. If you change your mind later and want to reinstall the plug-in, just drag the file back to its original location.

After you remove a plug-in by moving it to the Trash or another folder, you’ll need to restart Safari for the change to take effect.

Good luck!:)

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

^^ Thanks for your reply.

However, I still don't know what's the function of several of the above-mentioned plugins.... Like npgtpo3dautoplugin.plugin, nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt, RayV and whatnot.....

Anyone?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks man, I did use Google but for some reason couldn't come up with anything useful...

Any idea why there are so many Aliases in my Internet Plug-Ins folder (I provided a screenshot in my first post)? Can I delete them?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unless you're having a specific problem with Safari, I wouldn't mess with your plug-ins. Just use it and don't worry about it.