Safari is a JOKE

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pandamonia, Jun 25, 2012.

1. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

This problem has been my bane since Lion got installed on my 2010 MBP.

I just quit Safari with 1.2gb of "Safari Web Content"

When i reopened the window and all the tabs reloaded it is now 230mb

This looks to me like a memory leak or bad memory management.

Facebook seems to make the situation worse.

Even with 8GB of Ram and 4GB Free it starts to affect performance.

2. webdevbrian macrumors newbie

I know this may not be a solution for you, but have you considered downloading google chrome instead? Safari recently had a few updates, so unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if a memory leak slipped through the Apple QA/QC teams.

3. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

4. pandamonia thread starter macrumors 6502a

ill take a look.

I use Ghostery and Click2Flash and both of those help performance.

Im moving to Retina MBP soon and ill be stuck with Safari on that due to hardware acceleration in the new Safari.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't have any extensions and while not svelte when it comes to memory consumption, its no where near what you have. I would lay even money that it is related to extensions.

6. pandamonia thread starter macrumors 6502a

As i said i only have 2 extensions installed. Ghostery is a tracking cookie blocker and click2flash blocks flash.

I don't see either of those 2 could eat 900mb of RAM.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The best way to prove it, is to disable/remove the plugins and see if memory usage returns to normal

8. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

So you think that it's more likely poor memory handling in Safari, built by a large team of developers, rather than poor memory handling by an extension, most likely written by 1 or 2 devs?

I'd say disable both extensions, play with Safari for a bit, and watch memory consumption.

Also, what app are you using to look at memory consumption? If you're using Activity Monitor and your looking at the Virtual Memory column, that's not an accurate indicator of how much RAM your app is actually using.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Oh my... why so dramatic?

Relax... sort it out by following the suggestions already posted in this thread and you'll be fine.

While Safari is not my favorite, it's hardly as bad as the title of your thread suggests. I hear that it's quite nicely improved on 10.8

It's not like you don't have options.

I find Chrome an incredibly good, ultra fast, stable browser. The Google Chrome Store is filled with a wide variety of terrific extensions, apps, and tools.

I'm running a stable version of Chrome as well as Canary, on each of my Macs & PC's. For my requirements, it simply cannot be beat.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The browser is caching the web content in an effort to speed up browsing. That's what is taking up all the RAM. Also when you first opened it and it went to 230MB, that was the Top Sites feature I believe and can be disabled.

From the page What is Safari?

All browsers are caching content now, some more than others. I've seen Safari on my Mac use over 5GB of RAM before and I typically only have 1-3 tabs open at a time.

Without the caching, your Internet experience would be noticeably slower in many cases.

Here is more on how OS X manages RAM for it's applications. The more system RAM available, the more concurrent apps you can run and allows apps to use more of the available RAM.

Question about memory management from the Apple Support Communities

It isn't poor memory management; it's by design.

11. Damers macrumors regular

I've got a 2010 MBP as well and had the same problems with safari. I switched to chrome.

12. netslacker macrumors 6502

As I write this my Safari Web Content memory usage is at 1.65gb, surprisingly though flash is at a new low of 227mb. I have 11 tabs open.

This is par for the course for Safari. I've been using it almost exclusively for the past 2 years and memory has always been an issue with it. I've just come to accept that it needs a restart every once in a while (restart safari and not the computer).

13. phuocsandiego macrumors member

I use Chrome as well and while it also caches web content for faster browsing, it doesn't seem nearly the memory hog as other browsers. This is with AdBlock Plus, Ghostery, Click2Flash, and Ghostery Incognito.

14. pandamonia thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is exactly the same problem as mine. I have to reboot Safari to fix it.

Let me be clear here. I was using 1.2gb of REAL Ram. and i opened the EXACT same tabs i was using before and now use 330mb.

Unless we use the same extensions then Safari is to blame. Googling Safari Memory leak shows this is not isolated.

This did not happen on SL this is new to Lion. Lion is a dog tbh i hope ML is better

15. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I'm sure Safari does have memory issues, but using a lot of RAM is not a problem by itself. Safari aggressively caches content in RAM to increase speed. As long as Safari releases the inactive RAM as it is needed by other apps, what you describe isn't necessarily a problem.

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Is there a real problem here or are you just concerned about numbers that you don't understand?

17. pandamonia thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seriously. wtf

Dont understand?

I can build a PC from scratch within a couple hours, clock it up to 5ghz and have my memory running at insane speeds with tight timings. Whilst modifying voltages to keep the temps nice and performance beyond what is normally capable.

But if i use safari on my MBP it starts to slow down to a creep with general use after a few hours. This should not happen!

----------

This is a slow death of performance which gets worse with use. there is still free ram but safari just grinds down in responsiveness even with 3GB of Free ram left.

18. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Turn off extensions and try it out. Some extensions have known memory leaks. I have Adblock for Safari installed and memory use is out of control when it's on. If I go to extensions and turn them off, RAM usage is much better.

19. pandamonia thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sadly. i can't live without Ghostery or Click2Flash.

Id rather move to Chrome.

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

How do I find out how much memory Safari is using. Just run top?

21. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

[​IMG]