Safari is eating all my memory

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RenatoBB, Jun 9, 2015.

1. RenatoBB macrumors newbie

Hi

Safari is consuming all system memory. I need to always close the Safari to release it power, and after a few minutes, it starts all over again. Sometimes I need to run the Onix to make regularize the system, but then everything goes back to being as before. I do not know how to solve this and I hope you can help me. I'm sending the PS with in formations iStat menu.

Attached Files:

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Looks like the RAM usage/swap is quite high. I'm stipulating that you have quite a large uptime? This causes a world of problems with Safari.

Best thing to do is restart your Mac with the option 'Reopen windows when logging back in' disabled. I'm hoping it's just as simple as that. If it does do the trick I'd recommend shutting down every couple of days/whenever you're not using it in future.

3. RenatoBB thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi @keysofanxiety

Sorry, but I don't know what does uptime" mean.

I have only 3 tabs open and usually I leave open only the Safari and Mail.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Hi there Renato, apologies for the confusion. 'Uptime' simply means the time since the system was last shutdown. You can verify this exact number simply by opening up Terminal and typing uptime.

Again even if you're restarting often you may not see the full benefit of this unless you have the option 'reopen windows when logging back in' disabled. Please could you advise?

5. RenatoBB, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015

RenatoBB thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the explanation. This is my log:

Last login: Tue Jun 9 07:04:58 on console (now is 12:27:30)

bb6bb91e:~ renato$ uptime

12:22 up 5:20, 2 users, load averages: 1,53 1,45 1,29

A doubt: "2 users" I've only one user in this mac. Why is showing "2 users"?

I'll follow your suggestion.

6. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

This means your system has been up 5 hours and 20 minutes. If you type who in a terminal window, it should show two lines. These are the 2 users active on your machine.

7. RenatoBB thread starter macrumors newbie

@keysofanxiety

It seems that solved. So far Safari is keeping in 6 GB around for two hours (7 tabs open)

Thanks @soloer

Who:
    renato console Jun 9 13:18
    renato ttys000 Jun 9 14:36

Perhaps VMWare (Fusion) is one of them?

8. RenatoBB thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem still happens: the Safari is already consuming 14 GB of RAM again.

9. megalaser macrumors 6502

megalaser

keep activity monitor open, look at the memory tab and see which tab (website) in safari is eating all your memory, then quit it.

10. RenatoBB thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi @megalaser

The problem is that the memory amount is allocated to "Safari". If you add up the memory of the tabs, the allocated memory value is much lower.

Attached Files:

11. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

That really looks like Safari's causing the RAM issue. There's gotta be a memory leak somewhere. Do all your tabs auto reopen? If they do then keep pressing Cmd+W until all windows are closed, then Cmd+Q to close Safari. Then restart the computer & open Safari again.

Also is Safari up-to-date?

If the above steps do nothing, it may be best to briefly try a different Internet browser to at least confirm if it's doing it on the other ones. If it is then it could possibly be a frequently visited site that has some horrible scripts runnning ... how many tabs do you normally run?

12. RenatoBB thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, my tabs auto reopen. But when this happens, the allocated memory is low.

I think so: Versão 8.0.6 (10600.6.3)

5 or 7 tabs. But it is strange that the memory allocated to each site (tab) is low, compared with what appears related to the "Safari"

Attached Files:

13. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Wow. There is something seriously wrong with Safari. Maybe a rogue plug-in or something. Consider trying another browser on the same pages and see if you have the same memory issues.

https://www.mozilla.org/pt-BR/firefox/new/

14. RenatoBB thread starter macrumors newbie

I've Firefox and Chrome, but I prefer Safari. This problem doesn't happen with other browsers.

15. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Okay, we've at least identified that the problem is isolated to Safari. So a few quick questions about your computer:

- What Mac do you have?
    - What operating system is it on?
    - If it's a newer model, did you do a clean install/setup or restore from a previous Time Machine backup?
    - Have you tried a clean install?

I know this sounds really odd but my RAM previously failed on my MacBook Pro and it was causing a world of issues with Safari. As Safari is linked with the OS, issues this high may well indicate a larger problem. Forgive me for running through some additional troubleshooting. Please could you run through the below steps in the order they're given and stop/quote this message if any of them indicate a problem?

1) Check HDD/SSD SMART data (indicates if the hardware is corrupted). I use SMART Utility, direct download here: http://cloudfront.volitans-software.com/smartutility314.zip

2) If that comes out clean, try verify the Macintosh HD volume through Disk Utility. Any errors detected?

3) If that doesn't work, try update to the latest OS (if you're not already)

4) Apple Hardware Test - rarely finds an error even when there is one, but it's worth trying. Simply hold down the D key on startup and then select 'extended test', then run that. Should take between 15-30 minutes, depending on the speed of your computer.

5) Might be the RAM itself? Download Memtest here: http://static.command-tab.com/2008/memtest_422.zip Then, restart in single user mode by holding Cmd+S on startup, and type in memtest all 10 and press Enter. This will do 10 passes on the RAM -- please be aware it may take a number of hours, so if you'd rather do less passes you can simply change the number at the end. If there are any issues detected here it could be the RAM.

The latter of the three steps will take some time so if you just want to quickly check the HDD & OS volume and reply to this then we can try some other things. I'm sure other people will have more suggestions too, which are less time consuming :)

16. RenatoBB thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi @keysofanxiety

Something happened after I closed the tabs as you said (Cmd + W / CmdQ). Since I did it, the memory used by Safari looks stable. I'll be observing the memory behavior a few more days and then return to close the topic. Thank you for while.

17. Sabain macrumors newbie

Sabain

18. Sabain macrumors newbie

Sabain

I had a same prblm when i open safari and now finally i got prblm solved i dnt knw will work for others or not but mine is ok i open my mac back cover took out my both ram and installed them again but the memory which was up first i installed that to the lower and the lower memory that was b4 i installed to upper and yeah thats it just changed them to antiwise hope this works too for others

19. texazpitbull macrumors newbie

texazpitbull

uncheck preload top hits as you can see on istat i use 1.2 gig n free 6.79 ii hade the same problem try it
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2016 ---
    all you have to do uncheck preload top hit pages

Attached Files:

20. David Qi macrumors newbie

David Qi

I just sign up this forum to talk on this issue. I had the same problem and the memory Safari occupy more than 10 G some times. After uncheck preload top hit pages inside Safari configuration, at beginning the memory of Safari occupy around 100M, and then it grows constantly, 1G, 2G, ..., so uncheck preload top hit pages does not work with my iMac and Safari.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 24, 2016 ---
    I just sign up this forum to talk on this issue. I had the same problem and the memory Safari occupy more than 10 G some times. After uncheck preload top hit pages inside Safari configuration, at beginning the memory of Safari occupy around 100M, and then it grows constantly, 1G, 2G, ..., so uncheck preload top hit pages does not work with my iMac and Safari.

21. David Qi macrumors newbie

David Qi

--- Post Merged, Dec 25, 2016 ---
    I called to the apple service and finally solved this issue. Their way is to delete the old Safari and install a new one. Here is how :

(1) Open the "Finder"
    (2) While pressing "Option" key, click "go" inside the Finder menu, then one item called "Library" will appear
    (3) Click the "Library"
    (4) Then a lot of folders will appear, find the folder named "Safari" and drop it into Rubbish bin. (Delete the Safari APP)
    (5) Click "Safari" on the dock bar to run Safari.

This really solved the "Safari eat to much memory, some times 8G memory" problem.

But all the configuration along with the old Safari, like your bookmark, etc. will also be deleted. After the steps above, you will get a totally new Safari. So if you need to keep some thing useful, firstly do some records and backup, then follow the steps above.

IMG_0984.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-25 at 4.15.56 PM.png

Attached Files: