Safari is gone from mom's imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrisandersen, Jun 19, 2009.

1. chrisandersen macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

There is no safari app on her system. Did a ichat and shared the screen and can't find it. Not in applications and the only folder in spotlight is the history. Not in the trash, either.
    Any ideas of what to do next?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Download it from Apple's website and reinstall?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'm guessing Safari was her only browser. There's a couple options.

If there is a second computer there she can use it to download an install file and transfer it over the network or via flash drive.

Email her the file (if the email can handle such large attachments), and assuming she's using a desktop application for email.

The command line. Use the curl command to download a browser install file directly. I couldn't find a link for Safari, but did for Firefox. Use the following command from Terminal,
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    curl -O http://www.macupdate.com/download.php/10700/Firefox%203.5%20RC%202.dmg
    This will save the file to the Desktop where she can mount the disk image and install Firefox. Once it's installed she can go download Safari from Apple's site.

4. chrisandersen thread starter macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

No second computer and having her type in curl commands is scary (almost 80 years old).
    I downloaded on my mac, burnt to a DVD and will go over and re-install.
    But, now I'm still wondering how and what can I do to prevent this again.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea, I figured you might do the command for her through iChat. As for prevention, get a couple other browsers installed for those just in case moments. Get Firefox, Camino, Chrome, or Opera, or a couple of them. Though make sure Safari is default since it seems like she's likely most comfortable with it.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: Safair is gone from mom's imac

RE:
    "No second computer and having her type in curl commands is scary (almost 80 years old).
    I downloaded on my mac, burnt to a DVD and will go over and re-install.
    But, now I'm still wondering how and what can I do to prevent this again."

I'm going to guess that your mom's account is "administrator level" (by default), and that somehow she managed to trash the Safari app.

Here's what I'd suggest doing:
    1. Log in on your mom's account
    2. Get Safari reinstalled
    3. Create a _new_ account with administrative privileges. Give it a password YOU choose, and can easily remember.
    4. Log out of your mom's account and log into your new account.
    5. Now, "downgrade" your mom's account level from administrative to a regular user.
    6. Leave your new account there, but set things up so that the Mac automatically logs into your mom's account at startup.

Now things should appear just as they appeared before for your mom, only she will now be logged in as a "regular user" instead of an administrative-level user.

That means she won't be able to delete (or add) applications without an administrative password (yours). She'll have to call you up or whatever. Chances are she may forget your password after using it when needed, but that's what you want, right?

- John